If it wasn't for the possibility of playing softball in college...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
That is hard to read. It sounds like this young lady really got the short end of the stick. Coaches can be terrible people in some cases. Coaches can also be a someone that people look up to.
It just blew everyone’s mind.

There was absolutely no friction between player and coaches. This kid was the universally loved player.

My only guess it was a misguided attempt that “if we piss her off she will play really well”. It may have cost her the opportunity to be an All American.

I know it sounds like I’m always the negative one about college softball. Some kids have a perfect experience I’m sure. After about 5 years of experience with it with two DD’s i just hope that parents are prepared for something that may not be what they expected.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If it wasn't for the possibility of playing softball in college...
How many people would be spending the money they are to play travel ball?
Ask this question recognizing that there are a lot of people who play travel ball who will never play in college.

Yet the fact that softball in college can be a goal influences many.

If College sports did not exist would you still be in travel ball?

Simply if college sports did not exist, travel ball would not be set up the same. There would be no showcasing there would be no future goal at all.

So what do you think?...the fact that players can possibly play softball in college
1. How much does that influence you?
And
2. How much does it influence softball as a giant sport?

If college didn't exist something would take it's place...probably for the better and likely with more opportunity to play past the ages college players 'retire'
See all my other posts on how it is done everywhere else in the world.

In terms of your questions:
1. Not at all. My kids were going to college.
2. In the USA, tremendously because this is the only path to continue to play.

Dec 11, 2010
After 5 years of reading you I am expecting locker rooms equipped with water-boarding apparatus..
The showers look a lot like the scene from Lethal Weapon where Mel Gibson is being hung from his hands and being shocked by the electrified sponge.

My question in that scenario: Who handles the duties of torturing players? Grad assistant? Equipment guy? I don’t see the head coach doing that😂

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
No way. @ANNASDAD has the best profile picture. Anyone who doesn't love Buttermaker doesn't deserve our respect!
When I started playing golf in my late 20's, my best friend was my coach. We would go to the driving range and we would have some tall boys with us. With a beer in hand, he would walk back and forth making comments on my swing. I started calling him Buttermaker.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
When I started playing golf in my late 20's, my best friend was my coach. We would go to the driving range and we would have some tall boys with us. With a beer in hand, he would walk back and forth making comments on my swing. I started calling him Buttermaker.
For the golf trips my buddies and I would take to Myrtle Beach and Florida, it was always Caddyshack quotes. Invariably, it was around the first or second hole where the quotes would start.

To this day, I can't hear Anyway You Want It by Journey without saying "So what? So let's dance!"

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
My only guess it was a misguided attempt that “if we piss her off she will play really well”.

Where does this come from? I know two local coaches with their own daughters on the team that do this. They insult their girls on the field in an attempt to rile them up, with the expectation that they’ll play better. Baffles me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I know it sounds like I’m always the negative one about college softball. Some kids have a perfect experience I’m sure. After about 5 years of experience with it with two DD’s i just hope that parents are prepared for something that may not be what they expected.
You and I are a lot alike. I try to give a glimpse into the Underbelly of college softball. Most parents and players are totally unprepared when they step on campus. It doesn't matter the division either.

DD former college teammate story. I remember DD attending an on campus winter camp (DD is already committed) and I see this smallish pitcher wearing a uniform of team I have never heard of. I blurt out to the parents around me, where is that team from?? Dad says, oh we are from San Antonio and I coach the team. Oh okay. following year freshman year. She pitched one game lights out and the rest of her starts...meh. DD tells me that this player cries in the dugout during games and during practices. Coach is a yeller, nothing personal. Just yells. Other players tell her to get her shirt together and game time is not the time to be crying. Cry in your car or your dorm. Just hold it together until the game is over. Kid transfers to some random Juco out of state and then transfers the following year to a tiny school in the Miami area.

Perfect example of an unprepared kid that had been coddled her whole career. Lots of kids think they wanna play college softball until the grim reality sets in when they are asked to do things that they don't want to do or have never been asked to do. My DD says college practices are a cake walk compared to TB practices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee