PGF tournament age rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
This is a growing debate as in recent years you see a lot of 16u-18u teams playing 14u-16u tournaments in the fall before moving up to their actual 16u-18u level. (A concept I have never used or supported as a coach! But I would support for college exposure tournaments at the 16u level. Meaning tournaments that have no bracket play for a prize type scenario.)

I know PGF/USA utilize the birth year but I thought USSSA was switching it to September 1 so this "playing down in the fall" approach would not be utilized?

Also, a number of the better PGF promoters are stepping up and utilizing a September 1 date in the fall to assure teams are not playing down.

Playing up is great and kudos to the coaches challenging their players but what is ruining the experience is the organizations playing down in the fall to win bids/cash/etc. that they can not utilize but then pass down within the organization to teams that don't actually earn them but then gives the appearance that they did and lets them attend national tournaments and keep the name out there.
I had a September 1 date in my head but wasn't sure where I read the date or if I just happened to talk to someone that told me about the date. Apparently there is something to the 09/01 date! It's interesting that you mention the thought of USSSA switching. I have not heard that about USSSA, just PGF.

May 6, 2015
She is part of the team, and has been for over a year now. She is an 06 on a team mostly made up of 07's. There are 3 total 06's on the team and none are "allowed" to play this weekend. The official call hasn't been made what the team is going to do in Spring 2020 but the official call seems pretty obvious to me!
yes, if only three players are 06, expect the team to stay 12u, those 3 06's will need a new home. DD will be in similar situation, but we knew going in, she is 07 on a team of 08s, so at end of next summer, time to get on the merry go round again. but we knew that going in. live and learn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardSwinson