Statement from USSSA on age cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Why would they waste their time at 16U. Will be very few if any college coaches watching the 16U.
In high school aren’t the playing against 18U players in varsity games? So why go backwards in the summer.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying there aren't a lot of coaches at 16U games? That's the exact opposite of what I saw.

HS has such a mix of talent that the comparison holds no water. My daughters HS team always had at least two 8th grade girls on the roster, and most of them were starters. Her 16U team would have killed our HS state championship team.

Aug 20, 2017
And what age group will she play next year?
She’s a 2nd year 16U player this travel ball season. Turns 17 in January. Will play 18U next travel ball season. Hopefully on a team of committed players just trying to be ready to start college ball.

Jan 20, 2023
⬆️

By 16u darn well better be involved trying to get name out! Camps, emails, video's...
Showcasing game schedule.

My daughter is 16u but due to the topic of this thread is just starting freshman year (Dec birthday). Does she really need to be doing this already? She can’t even open her locker reliably yet 🤣 it seems really premature to be thinking about college.

I am curious how others with late birthdays approach this. We play fall high school and she got a spot on varsity - do we need to deal with all the social media that looks like some kind of new fangled cattle auction to me already - or do we have a little more time since she’s only a freshman?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023
My daughter is 16u but due to the topic of this thread is just starting freshman year (Dec birthday). Does she really need to be doing this already? She can’t even open her locker reliably yet 🤣 it seems really premature to be thinking about college.

I am curious how others with late birthdays approach this. We play fall high school and she got a spot on varsity - do we need to deal with all the social media that looks like some kind of new fangled cattle auction to me already - or do we have a little more time since she’s only a freshman?
My wife went to open house this week and said she was basically a superhero because she could open everone's locker. No idea on the social media.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yes. The process starts Now! Gotta start gettin' the chatter going for your kid. The earlier the better. The further along in the process, the more comfortable both of you will become. Start attending multi school camps (more bang for your buck). Not necessarily to get recruited, but getting used to performing in front of college coaches, interacting with the coaches, seeing how she stacks up against players her own age and older. This will also get her on the radar of coaches, mailing lists and this is a good way to eliminate certain schools or to add them to her list. This is a process and it takes time.

If she gets a little attention at those camps, and she is communicating with the coaches they will then come see her at showcases. Then she will get invited to the on campus camps, take tours, get offers. Boom!

As far as email communication for many schools. It will be one-way for a few years unless you get to a camp and then they can talk with you.

1st: Make a list of 20 schools. Reach, good fit, fall backs.
  • Academics
  • Ability to get accepted
  • miles willing to travel from home
  • skill level
  • $$$$
  • Competitiveness level
  • campus life
  • TB coach relationship with program
What are waiting for? Get going? Send out your fall schedule to those coaches.

May 17, 2023
Topgun is trash. They dont care, all they want is money. 12 team age division will have 3 three brackets and 60 minute games.

That's interesting because our experience the past few years is TGE tournaments were very similar to PGF and HFL. Well run, nice parks, and some of the better teams in Midwest.

Their big tourney in Kansas City draws an incredible number of teams and college coaches from all over the country. But I'm sure like any organization it varies by event.

Jan 20, 2023
What are waiting for? Get going? Send out your fall schedule to those coaches.

I guess I want her to savor the moment for a second or two. She only started comp two years ago - with the goal of playing varsity in high school. She just got on the team and has her first game tomorrow.

She’s had quite the run 14c, 14b and now 16a team. She started the journey wanting to play high school and she was one of two freshmen named full time to varsity (at a school that runs JV and C teams). So, I just want her to take a minute to appreciate achieving a goal before we move the bar.

She has done some college camps locally- and I see your point - so we’ll start talking about it after a few games. The list is really helpful! Thank You.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I guess I want her to savor the moment for a second or two. She only started comp two years ago - with the goal of playing varsity in high school. She just got on the team and has her first game tomorrow.

She’s had quite the run 14c, 14b and now 16a team. She started the journey wanting to play high school and she was one of two freshmen named full time to varsity (at a school that runs JV and C teams). So, I just want her to take a minute to appreciate achieving a goal before we move the bar.

She has done some college camps locally- and I see your point - so we’ll start talking about it after a few games. The list is really helpful! Thank You.
Find out what your Team TB team is doing for recruiting?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That's interesting because our experience the past few years is TGE tournaments were very similar to PGF and HFL. Well run, nice parks, and some of the better teams in Midwest.

Their big tourney in Kansas City draws an incredible number of teams and college coaches from all over the country. But I'm sure like any organization it varies by event.
Agreed. Top Gun in Kansas was a great event, especially at Mid-America. The only downside was the smell from the sewage treatment plant if the wind was blowing from the wrong direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury