Statement from USSSA on age cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
I do, but let USA change back instead of forcing everyone else to follow them. This isn't school ball.
What is the logical reason for Jan 1?

Logical reasons for Sept.1 have been discussed on the thread, yet to see one for Jan 1.

I will add a reason, a 12 year old with Dec birthday is not eligible for 12u fall season. They can be literally 12 at game time and forced to play 14u.

Sep 1, 2021

Logical reasons for Sept.1 have been discussed on the thread, yet to see one for Jan 1.

I will add a reason, a 12 year old with Dec birthday is not eligible for 12u fall season. They can be literally 12 at game time and forced to play 14u.
I'm sure the first of the year is much less logical than the arbitrary date you/they picked, but as long as they're forced to move at the same time, you're only playing with girls in a 2 year range.
You'll always have the youngest and the oldest, and someone will always be born the day before the cut-off.

Apr 14, 2022
I'm sure the first of the year is much less logical than the arbitrary date you/they picked, but as long as they're forced to move at the same time, you're only playing with girls in a 2 year range.
You'll always have the youngest and the oldest, and someone will always be born the day before the cut-off.
Not disputing that always have a gap. The date is not arbitrary, matches start of season. (Varies slightly by org) So you do not have 12 year olds not eligible for 12u. If you are 12 should you not be able to play 12u?
Why not base age on season start vs 4.5 months after?

The new USSSA Fastpitch season (2024) starts August 16, 2023.
The league age of the athlete is determined by the player’s age on December 31, 2023.

Oct 14, 2020

Forced lol

They have an opportunity to be challenged when they move up in age divisions just like 10u to 12u.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles