Statement from USSSA on age cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
100%. Age doesn’t matter at all anymore. I couldn’t even tell you the last time someone even looked to see if someone was using a guest player that wasn’t registered. Just compete with whatever team happens to be in the other dugout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it does not matter from competition, not sure about recruiting. Playing 16u as a junior may be an advantage.

Nov 9, 2021
I agree it does not matter from competition, not sure about recruiting. Playing 16u as a junior may be an advantage.

It absolutely is if your goal is to stand out. We played one pitcher this summer that is a 2025 graduate but was still eligible for 16u. She is already committed to a D1 in North Carolina. She was really good as you would expect. Just not sure why she was still playing 16u. We don’t mind facing the competition but I am not sure how it benefits her at this point to get ready for D1.

But as far as recruiting goes I saw a lot more coaches at 18u events this year than 16u. Seems like the recruiting time line has gotten pushed back a little. I think you would get more eyes on you playing 18u, it just depends if you are good enough to stand out in that age group I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2023
I didn't see a lot of 10 year old pitchers in the LLWS series in their 10-12 age bracket this year. Saw a lot of 12/13 year olds dominating by physically outclassing 10-11 year olds, though.

Feb 24, 2022
USA Nationals this year had all of the girls bring their birth certificates and a photo ID. I don't think they went through everything with a fine toothed comb, but they at least made a cosmetic effort.

With an unaffiliated tournament, I just assume it's Sept birthday, but as others have said, it is what it is.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
If you are a junior in High School, you should be allowed to play 16U and not required to move to 18U if you turn 17 during your junior year. That’s the ones that are impacted the most.
Why would they waste their time at 16U. Will be very few if any college coaches watching the 16U.
In high school aren’t the playing against 18U players in varsity games? So why go backwards in the summer.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
At the highest levels, these TB programs are trying to win Nationals Championships with the best athletes in their age divisions. They can do that since they have 8 teams per age divisions. If you aren't on one of those teams, then Yes play 18U as soon as you can.

Aug 20, 2017
Why would they waste their time at 16U. Will be very few if any college coaches watching the 16U.
In high school aren’t the playing against 18U players in varsity games? So why go backwards in the summer.
Most 18U teams in my area are made of players that are already committed. 18U divisions have less coaches unless they are there to see one of their commits or didn’t do a good job recruiting that class and are still looking for players. 16U is where the player gets looked at the most in my area. My daughter is a 16 yo old junior and has already been on numerous Juco visits. D1’s can’t begin contacting her until September 1.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Most 18U teams in my area are made of players that are already committed. 18U divisions have less coaches unless they are there to see one of their commits or didn’t do a good job recruiting that class and are still looking for players. 16U is where the player gets looked at the most in my area. My daughter is a 16 yo old junior and has already been on numerous Juco visits. D1’s can’t begin contacting her until September 1.
And what age group will she play next year?

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Most 18U teams in my area are made of players that are already committed. 18U divisions have less coaches unless they are there to see one of their commits or didn’t do a good job recruiting that class and are still looking for players. 16U is where the player gets looked at the most in my area.
⬆️

By 16u darn well better be involved trying to get name out! Camps, emails, video's...
Showcasing game schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury