PE injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
My DD gets PE credit for playing a sport. Every season (Jv or Varsity) the players earn 0.2 PE credits. So if you play 4 years of any sport you will earn 0.8 PE credits. She needs 1.0 PE credits to graduate; which means she will only need 1 semester of PE (assuming she plays 4 years of softball) and if she plays any other sport then she wont ever need to take PE.

On the flip side I don't have any problems with PE. PE isn't always only running around the gym with floor hockey sticks, dodgeball or flag football; and I kind of like knowing my kids are being exposed to those sports and things like archery, weightlifting, volleyball, badmitton, etc. And I don't really hear about a lot of PE injuries; it's all part of going to school.

Dec 7, 2011
I can say my belief is to live life - everything happens for a reason. Make good decisions and typically good things will follow. I can't say I'd prohibit my daughters from any type of fairly normal activity. Our drive to Florida and back this Christmas put them more at risk for a serious life altering injury than any thing school could throw at them. If something happens at school, it happens, work to get back to full strength. Sometimes a little adversity can be a good thing.

Maybe the meaningful detail I've inadvertantly left out here is my DD does not want to be in these PE activities because she herself knows she can not do anything less than 100% and that SHE does not want to risk it.

I would not be holding her out of PE. I am just trying to support HER decision to not be in PE - and she did offer the school that she would be in Study Hall doing homework (that would help all aspects of her goals).

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
We have a similar deal in Colorado (at least in DD's school district). You get 2 PE credits for a sport. If you play 3 sports all four years you end up with enough credits to graduate, otherwise you have to take at least a few PE classes. There are lots of choices, including womens weight training which DD is taking right now. I think it's pretty handy - a good way to get her weights in during the school day.
Now I've never been a boy, I can only observe my own 12 year old boy and he is crazy. He and his pals treat PE like its the Olympics - win at all costs, the nuttier the game the better (see previous post regarding dodge ball) - so I can definitely see the worry in that regard.
BTW - DH and son play paintball on the weekends - they LOVE it. The come home tired (they estimate they run at least 6 miles) and muddy with a few bruises but so far no real injuries to speak of. I've wondered a few times if I would need to explain ourselves to son's teachers regarding a few ill-placed bruises from paintballs to the neck, but so far the teachers seem to understand!
Edit P.S - I do agree with a study hall in lieu of PE during a player's season.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Oh, that explains everything.

If your DD wants to do something, even though it is very dangerous, she is allowed to do it. But, if it is something she doesn't want to do something that is less dangerous, then she shouldn't have to--because, well, she just shouldn't have to.

After all, teenager girls are well-known to have the best judgment about what they should or shouldn't do, right? Just ask them...

(My DD#1 teaches PE--do you have any idea how many kids (mostly girls) want to opt out of whatever activity is going on?)

I am a parent and at times I parent. Those times have ticked-off DD,.. many times. I also respect my DD for her solid vision on her goals and will support her development with whatever smarts I have built up in this life.

If you are trying to submit that paintballing is more dangerous than PE class I will offer you these facts of this family: All three of my kids have had ridiculous injuries in PE that put them in a cast or something like that. Both my boys, and their clutch of 8-10 other regular buddies in paintball, have NEVER been injured beyond normal paintball marks. Do you even know what paintballing is?

Now my boys decided in HS that they were not going to be part of sports. I would not support them ever thinking they were not going to go through a day without some sort of physical activity (ie PE). Remember, this argument I am making is ONLY for committed athletes that already bust their butts 7 days a week.

But the part that really ticks me off about my case here, and in respect to this country too, is that I have to listen to a sexist PE teacher force his will on my daughter and tell me what is and what is not in the best interest of MY daughter.

Oct 10, 2011
Did you all take your DD's to practice when they were injured? We were thinking at least once a week (hopefully it will only be a few missed practices). I was really curious though about people who were out for longer periods. I bet when she's not there it will be the quietest practice they've ever had:)

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Did you all take your DD's to practice when they were injured? We were thinking at least once a week (hopefully it will only be a few missed practices). I was really curious though about people who were out for longer periods. I bet when she's not there it will be the quietest practice they've ever had:)

100% Yes. Yes yes yes yes. There was a girl on JV last year who broke her thumb. This girl showed up to every practice thereafter and was constantly badgering the coach during practice - "what can I do? How can I help?" . Since then I've heard the varsity coach comment on how dedicated this girl is - I'm willing to bet good money she'll make varsity next fall.

Same thing with travel ball. A girl on DD's team hurt her knee. She came to every single practice. The coach would complain about how this girl was driving him nuts, but always with a smile on his face.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Injuries are always a possibility, and I don't think you should stop doing anything other than softball trying to prevent one. My DD still plays basketball and volleyball......do you allow your DD to bat or play another position when she is not pitching?

Oct 19, 2009
Two years ago I lost a pitcher for six weeks due to a broken arm. Tripped over a hockey stick in gym class and fell on it. What can you do - send 'em out in bubble wrap? Last fall I lost a pitcher for the fall season due to broken leg in a car accident. Life happens outside of softball, gotta deal.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
PE used to be about staying in shape. Not seeing if a girl could compete with a boy. I remember a dance class in elementary school, where I picked on a neighborhood boy, because I thought it was fun. The teacher took care of that real quick and I remember it 45 years later.

I applied for a PE job once and was told that they needed a man. When I asked why, they said because of the boy's locker room. I am wondering if women can ever get a job teaching PE, if this is the case.

Do the men go into the girls locker room?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl