Is it time to leave?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2020
Next year she'll be in the middle of recruiting and you'll feel the pressure that you can't leave because you don't want to "start over" with the process. Sure the coaches will tell you what you want to hear to keep her on the team, but the animosity will grow every weekend when the status quo stays the same.
Great point. I'm already starting to feel this.

Oct 4, 2020
Its past time to Go...
Most any player does not need to play travel ball or pay a ton of money to play in college. Play because you want the travel and play a higher level of ball...

Tons of examples of ladies that played only HS and went on to play in college especially if you are talking DII/DIII/NAIA/JC. Heck one lady even went from junior college to the national team/pros.
I would look from small DI to JC. There is a team she can play for if the talent is there and the school fits her goals and needs.
  • My first suggestions is: think about what does she want to do post secondary? Then research schools that fit her interest. If she is thinking about the medical field keep in mind clinicals generally impact play especially Jr/Sr years. I would spend more time doing this than looking for a summer team.
  • Second go back to 16U especially; if you feel she may be good enough to get some scholarship % at one of the divisions...
  • Contact the coaches of the schools you are interested in...You do not need a organization representative to get your name out there. Let them know your fall/summer schedules.
  • Visit schools that hit your short list. Do a camp or clinic at said school to see how things are run.
  • With DIII schools they can get very expensive same with some DII schools. So look at what it is going to cost you not the % a school offers you.
  • Another great option especially if you can make it on at one the bigger in state universities is club softball. (NCSA).These teams generally play 20-30 games and if you stay with in state tuition it is lower and generally your best bang for your dollar as you are getting a degree from a larger more recognized insinuation, Paying less for the degree and playing ball generally with fees well under $500 per season.
  • HBCUs...This is another option with many finance assistance programs. They also do a neat thing with most of the member schools using a single application and fee of like $50
There are many options and opportunities out there for ladies. Find a travel team that fits your wants/needs and you will be much happier. The college play will happen if the talent is there and she does her homework.
Fantastic post and appreciate the perspective. Genuinely helpful.

Oct 4, 2020
I am totally on board with the "If you have to ask ..." crowd.

I will add this though: It isn't necessarily a bad thing, so stop treating it like it is. Quite simply, it wasn't the right fit. That doesn't mean there has to be any animosity or that anybody was right or wrong.

They want to be a "pitcher only" club (I despise that that has even become a term we all understand) and may not understand what a showcase team really is. Your daughter should not be a pitcher only and wants to get some exposure. Appreciate the season you had, say thank you, and go find her an appropriate team to join. No big deal.
Absolutely. If she decided to leave there certainly be no ill will. I think in there hearts they believe what they are doing is the most appropriate. We simply disagree.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
it's not really that hard to get innings for other players, unless coach is purposely slanted 1 way. Example, my 18u season just ended and my 2 catchers ended with 127.0 and 113.2 innings. and the only reason the 1 catcher was at 113 was she happens to be outstanding outfielder and played there when others were missing. this was for 46 games played this summer.

My 2 catchers went 125 innings and 120 innings.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What's the thought here?

On the D1 or P5 schools, we can list a handful of pitchers who hit. Louisville and Clemson studs come to mind.

Seems at "not top 100 softball program schools" plenty of pitchers hit. My DD is probably hoping to go to a school that isn't top 100 (for softball). And we kind of hope it lets her hit. She loves to hit and is good at it.
Our top pitchers are also in the top 4 batters and athletes on the team. Why would you sit your best options on the bench?

It took an injury or two for the coach to get there, but once she was kind of forced to play them both in the field and in the batting line up there was no way she could justify taking them out.

I have heard justification for not - such as "worried they get injuries on the bases' or 'I want a set infield' or - 'I have 20 players on the roster so I should play one of the non-pitchers at SS since that is what I recruited them for even though they clearly are not the best option. These are all garbage.

College is about winning. The season is REALLY short especially if you are in the Northeast and can't get games going until mid-March. You have to be putting the best team on the field ALL the time or mid-season you realize you are not making your conference tournament.

Oct 4, 2018
Our top pitchers are also in the top 4 batters and athletes on the team. Why would you sit your best options on the bench?

It took an injury or two for the coach to get there, but once she was kind of forced to play them both in the field and in the batting line up there was no way she could justify taking them out.

I have heard justification for not - such as "worried they get injuries on the bases' or 'I want a set infield' or - 'I have 20 players on the roster so I should play one of the non-pitchers at SS since that is what I recruited them for even though they clearly are not the best option. These are all garbage.

College is about winning. The season is REALLY short especially if you are in the Northeast and can't get games going until mid-March. You have to be putting the best team on the field ALL the time or mid-season you realize you are not making your conference tournament.

My thinking is that with teams like OU, they go out and get the best hitters possible. And then the best pitchers possible. And then the odds are that the pitchers they have just can't crack the batting lineup.

But as you go down to other programs, that can't get the top hitters in America, pitchers can be amongst the 9 best hitters on the team.

I could be wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles