UCL Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
My daughter suffered a UCL tear 2 weeks ago and could not finish her season. It is not on her dominant arm which the DR said was a good thing; however, I did explain to him that arm may not be her throwing arm but it is used to catch a ball and it is used in the batting mechanics of a swing. She is out for at least 8 weeks. The challenge is, where we are from tryouts start mid to late July and into August. At this point, she is not able to try out for a team. Her current team has disbanded after last week's final tournament. This will be her 2nd year 16U and she has played on an A level team.
Has anyone here had any experience with a UCL tear, and if so how long was the recovery period? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Shohei Ohtani tore his UCL in 2018. He continued to hit with the injury. He got Tommy John surgery and didn't pitch all of 2019, but he did DH most of the year. And that injury was to his throwing arm.

Looks like he got the surgery in October 2018. He missed the first month of 2019.

Depending on the severity of the tear, and since it's not her throwing arm, I (not a doctor), wonder if surgery is even necessary. She might actually be fine playing with a minor tear.

Just curious, but how did she tear her non-throwing UCL? That's unusual.

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
Shohei Ohtani tore his UCL in 2018. He continued to hit with the injury. He got Tommy John surgery and didn't pitch all of 2019, but he did DH most of the year. And that injury was to his throwing arm.

Looks like he got the surgery in October 2018. He missed the first month of 2019.

Depending on the severity of the tear, and since it's not her throwing arm, I (not a doctor), wonder if surgery is even necessary. She might actually be fine playing with a minor tear.

Just curious, but how did she tear her non-throwing UCL? That's unusual.
Thank you for your response. She does not have to have surgery, she is in an arm brace and starting physical therapy tomorrow. The DR said she isn't allowed to play softball or use that arm at all until he clears her. She injured the arm sliding into home. She was trying to get under the catcher's tag and her left arm took the weight and it bent backwards at the elbow.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Thank you for your response. She does not have to have surgery, she is in an arm brace and starting physical therapy tomorrow. The DR said she isn't allowed to play softball or use that arm at all until he clears her. She injured the arm sliding into home. She was trying to get under the catcher's tag and her left arm took the weight and it bent backwards at the elbow.

No surgery is usually good.

Does the doctor typically work with athletes? If so, just follow the doctor's orders. If not, I would consider finding a doctor who specializes in athletic injuries. From my experience, doctors will sometimes handle kid injuries differently if they don't realize they're a high-level athlete (or trying to be, at least).

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
No surgery is usually good.

Does the doctor typically work with athletes? If so, just follow the doctor's orders. If not, I would consider finding a doctor who specializes in athletic injuries. From my experience, doctors will sometimes handle kid injuries differently if they don't realize they're a high-level athlete (or trying to be, at least).
Great questions and yes he does specialize in treating athletes. We also explained to him her level of play

Nov 4, 2015
just want to see how she ended up healing. My DD was just diagnosed with a complete UCL tear in her non throwing arm. She is a pitcher. She was run into while playing defense and then felt a pop when catching a throw. DR says no surgery, but will need to rehab. Just looking for any advice. She is currently in an arm brace and will begin therapy in about a month.

Jan 28, 2017
Have a buddy that's son just had UCL surgery from a football injury and was telling me that Dr. Andrews now has new surgery and I didn't fully understand what he was talking about but maybe worth checking into. A few doctors are doing that surgery that worked with him. I know enough to be dangerous with the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802