Is it time to leave?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2016
Next year she'll be in the middle of recruiting and you'll feel the pressure that you can't leave because you don't want to "start over" with the process. Sure the coaches will tell you what you want to hear to keep her on the team, but the animosity will grow every weekend when the status quo stays the same.

May 27, 2013
I don't know...they're smaller and go to showcase tourneys. All coaches are Dad's though with kids on the team. But I don't quite understand your logic, she can only expect playtime when a college coach is there to see her? That makes no sense. ON the promoting players thing I don't think they have the weight of some of the other organizations with a longer history.

So what I was trying to say was if this is a team that will ride their #1 pitcher even though a college coach has come and asked to watch another pitcher pitch that specific game, I’d move on.

If it’s a true showcase team, ALL of the players should be emailing coaches and letting them know their schedule. If “their” coaches show up, then they get put in the game. If it so happens that on a given day one player has coaches come to all of the games and ask to see her in each one then yes, she’s probably playing! Coaches can split innings, ask college coaches if they’ll be back for another game, etc. Tbey make it work.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it. It’s how the true showcase teams have build a relationship with the college coaches. They know which teams will get the players in who they have come to watch play.

May 27, 2013
Another thing is you say you don’t know which showcases they are playing in - by now, the majority of the top showcases have their teams booked for the upcoming summer season. Does this team have any idea where they are even playing this fall?

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
See previous comment on what kind of showcase team they are. Not a national program. I'd put her somewhere around 6 or 7 in the lineup. Above most of the coaches kids though. Just saying.

On the pitcher hitting thing, I can think of three of four right away off the top of my head. I don't buy the "pitchers don't hit in college" argument. I pitcher that can hit is better than a pitcher that can't. And to be able to hit, you need to...well...hit.

DD's college team - the top 2 pitchers hit and also field when they are not pitching. As they should

Apr 27, 2020
Here’s the situation:

First year 16U playing 18U showcase. DD is a pitcher and came to the team use to splitting defensive time when not pitching. Only left last team because the coaching staff decided to call it quits - they were an excellent team.

On new team she’s 1 of 3 pitchers and after all is said and done pitched 25% of the innings with mixed results. Some very good games some games difficult to watch. Virtually zero time in her second and third positions. I’m not pointing fingers but can’t ignore coaches kids play them both.

Hitting wise she received 25% of plate appearances of what the everyday starters received even though she outperformed half the team in avg and obp. On her last team she was allowed to hit maybe 80% of the time and rewarded them with above average results - top five in avg and obp. Of course this was 14U but a high level performing team. Coaches kids received almost 100% of possible plate appearances despite lackluster performance. Again, I get it…you put the time in coaching that counts for something but, you know.

I’m not afraid to tell DD it’s time to get to work and fight for a spot, but, I also know that in life there are times when the situation suggests it’s time to go. We’re not bitter at all, just trying to make an informed decision. She has aspirations of playing college ball (D2/D3 - most likely D3). I believe she can do it if she keeps working as hard as she does - weekly hitting and pitching lessons and nightly bullpens. When it comes to general athleticism I’d say she was average but always seems to show up defensively when given the opportunity.

Thought I would ask the opinion of this esteemed group.

So what say you? Stay or go and why?
Its past time to Go...
Most any player does not need to play travel ball or pay a ton of money to play in college. Play because you want the travel and play a higher level of ball...

Tons of examples of ladies that played only HS and went on to play in college especially if you are talking DII/DIII/NAIA/JC. Heck one lady even went from junior college to the national team/pros.
I would look from small DI to JC. There is a team she can play for if the talent is there and the school fits her goals and needs.
  • My first suggestions is: think about what does she want to do post secondary? Then research schools that fit her interest. If she is thinking about the medical field keep in mind clinicals generally impact play especially Jr/Sr years. I would spend more time doing this than looking for a summer team.
  • Second go back to 16U especially; if you feel she may be good enough to get some scholarship % at one of the divisions...
  • Contact the coaches of the schools you are interested in...You do not need a organization representative to get your name out there. Let them know your fall/summer schedules.
  • Visit schools that hit your short list. Do a camp or clinic at said school to see how things are run.
  • With DIII schools they can get very expensive same with some DII schools. So look at what it is going to cost you not the % a school offers you.
  • Another great option especially if you can make it on at one the bigger in state universities is club softball. (NCSA).These teams generally play 20-30 games and if you stay with in state tuition it is lower and generally your best bang for your dollar as you are getting a degree from a larger more recognized insinuation, Paying less for the degree and playing ball generally with fees well under $500 per season.
  • HBCUs...This is another option with many finance assistance programs. They also do a neat thing with most of the member schools using a single application and fee of like $50
There are many options and opportunities out there for ladies. Find a travel team that fits your wants/needs and you will be much happier. The college play will happen if the talent is there and she does her homework.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
See previous comment on what kind of showcase team they are. Not a national program. I'd put her somewhere around 6 or 7 in the lineup. Above most of the coaches kids though. Just saying.

On the pitcher hitting thing, I can think of three of four right away off the top of my head. I don't buy the "pitchers don't hit in college" argument. I pitcher that can hit is better than a pitcher that can't. And to be able to hit, you need to...well...hit.

Pitchers who can hit most certainly do hit in college. It gets tougher at the higher level of D1, but it can happen. The most recent POY, Valarie Cagle (a pitcher), rarely came off the field. Even Jordy Bahl occasionally cracked the batting lineup at OU, and will likely hit regularly at Nebraska. I can think of several other examples ranging from JUCO to mid-major D1. Most college teams not named "Sooners" have weaknesses in their batting order, and a good hitting pitcher is a valuable asset not only in terms of production but in the additional flexibility that offers the coach in manipulating their lineup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles