NCAA Potentially Increasing # of Softball Scholarships for D1 Schools to 25 (up from 12)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Another thing with D3 and merit money - as long as the athlete meets the academic requirements year after year, even if they quit their sport they will still get that money. I highly doubt D3 schools are giving out that money based on athletics alone - because it would be very easy to identify those kids through an audit if they were still getting the money but not meeting the academic requirements.

So like I mentioned in a previous post - this is need-based money which I did say can be negotiated. If you don’t meet need-based status you aren’t getting the money.

Naive. 😂

ETA: So - still no specific school names?
This isn't a debate about you defending your daughter's choice to go d3. It is a fine choice.

The reality is there are more than one financial package that happens with players and that is why it's good to discuss other things.
Would even suggest anybody that's going to a D3 College and they've pretty much settled what their monies will be, to come up with reasons why they need more. That is how many times I have seen d3's squeeze out more money. It's like a sponge ready to be squeezed. 💰squeeze it!!! It leaks!!!

There is definitely a lot more flexibility with getting into all the many different D3 colleges than there would be trying to get into a D1. Keep options open!

May 27, 2013
This isn't a debate about you defending your daughter's choice to go d3. It is a fine choice.

The reality is there are more than one thing that happens with players and that is why it's good to discuss other things.
I would even suggest anybody that's going to a D3 College and they've pretty much settled what their monies will be, to come up with reasons why they need more. That is how many times I have seen d3's squeeze out more money. It's like a sponge ready to be squeezed. 💰squeeze it!!! It leaks!!!
So now I’m defending my daughter’s choice to go to the school she attends?? How did this divulge into that??

Her school doesn’t offer merit money and we don’t qualify for needs-based, so I wouldn’t be so petty to threaten not going to that school to try and take THAT money away from a student who truly needs it. What a joke.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
So now I’m defending my daughter’s choice to go to the school she attends?? How did this divulge into that??

Her school doesn’t offer merit money and we don’t qualify for needs-based, so I wouldn’t be so petty to threaten not going to that school to try and take THAT money away from a student who truly needs it. What a joke.
🤷‍♀️See how you are focused on your daughter. Not my focus.

This is
Would even suggest anybody that's going to a D3 College and they've pretty much settled what their monies will be, to come up with reasons why they need more. That is how many times I have seen d3's squeeze out more money. It's like a sponge ready to be squeezed. 💰squeeze it!!! It leaks!!!

There is definitely a lot more flexibility with getting into all the many different D3 colleges than there would be trying to get into a D1. Keep options open!
Glad to have shared this type of detail for those seeking College opportunity!

May 27, 2013
So now let me ask you this RAD - what happens when the player agrees to apply ED (which is the “handshake deal” at a lot of D3 schools for a roster spot if they get through admissions) because they “assumed” they could ask for and get more money once the full financial aid package comes out at a later date? What do they do when it isn’t what they “thought” it was going to be? ED is typically a binding agreement and it is highly frowned upon to break it. In most cases it can only be broken if financially there is a lot of difference between what was determined by the NPC and what being is offered after the offer of admission.

Keep in mind that some D3 schools can’t even let a kid know that they’ll definitely get any merit money until they actually apply. Do you suggest the kids just break the agreement? Do you suggest that families check the NPC before considering a D3 school or do you just tell them, “If they want you bad enough, they’ll find the money for you?”

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is from Forbes 2014.

Conventional wisdom says that intercollegiate athletics is a boon to colleges and universities; that it’s wildly profitable; attracts new students; enhances fundraising; and, boosts the university’s profile. Yet these are myths, often perpetuated by the media – and by the universities themselves.

The truth is that very few college athletic programs make a profit; instead, most are heavily subsidized by student fees and other institutional subsidies. Furthermore, these fee amounts aren’t static. They’re increasing annually.

The costs of maintaining an intercollegiate athletics program at the Division I for-profit level are immense. There’s a vigorous off-the-field arms race for the building the most attractive facilities and bringing in big-name coaches. Then there are travel and recruiting budgets, along with scholarships. These are only a few of the high end costs, and schools like the University of Texas – with outside money flowing in from huge TV contracts, sponsorships, and boosters – can afford to do these things because they have an overall athletic budget in excess of $150 million.

Most MAC schools have athletic budgets barely approaching $20 million and no access to the TV revenue of the major schools – yet are desperately trying to keep up by charging subsidies.

In addition there is ample empirical research – from the prestigious Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics and even from the NCAA – that challenges the claim that a university’s athletic program is a significant indicator of its worth, profile, or marketability. While there certainly have been tangible and intangible benefits for major NCAA Division I schools like Ohio State and Alabama, whether or not they turn a profit varies by year. Meanwhile, athletic powerhouses like Oregon and Florida State University require institutional subsidies to balance the books and fund their programs.

I recently completed an empirical research study with co-authors Jeff Smith, of the University of South Carolina-Upstate and two Duke University Graduate Students, Jonathan Robe and Dan Garrett. We researched student perceptions of the athletic fee in the Mid American conference (MAC), one of the most highly-subsidized Division I conferences in the NCAA.

The study, due to come out in the January issue of The Journal of Sport, showed that students were largely unaware of these fee amounts, and how much it was allocated for intercollegiate athletics.

The athletic fee wasn’t obvious (in fact, it wasn’t even itemized) on university bills. Furthermore, getting the exact number from MAC institutions proved exasperating.

Considering the total fees assessed to fund athletics at MAC institutions, it’s clear why schools weren’t exactly transparent about the fee. Once the actual fee amount was detailed to the surveyed population of students, over 90% were either against the athletic fee or wanted it substantially lowered.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham recently announced that it was going to shut down its Division I football program. In its explanation, the administration outlined the future costs that the university and its students would have to bear just to keep football afloat.

UAB, like a number of schools in the MAC, is never going to be an athletic powerhouse, like its larger sister school, Alabama (in Tuscaloosa). It was going to continue to be an annual, multi-million dollar charge to the school – with its students footing the most of the bill.

While it might be surprising to the college sports fan that college sports is mostly a money losing operation, it’s time to reassess where intercollegiate athletics fits within the skyrocketing costs of higher education.

Is it something that institutions – and more importantly, their tuition-and- fee-paying, debt-incurring students – can afford?

Jun 18, 2023
extremely not true at the higher levels though, if not outright. I mean, _someone_ is making millions. Hasn't everyone been talking about Madden NCAA 2025 for weeks or whatever? College athletics is extremely profitable at some place. The money's going somewhere (not to the actual athletes for sure though)

Apr 25, 2019
So it looks like this is really happening. I think things are about to get crazy for 2025s.

Okay, so we are just getting back from Cali and I have heard news of this. How will this effect 2025's? My DD is a 2025 verbally committed to a G5 team. Does my DD need to be talking with her recruiting coordinator about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach