NCAA Potentially Increasing # of Softball Scholarships for D1 Schools to 25 (up from 12)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Would even suggest anybody that's going to a D3 College and they've pretty much settled what their monies will be, to come up with reasons why they need more. That is how many times I have seen d3's squeeze out more money. It's like a sponge ready to be squeezed. đź’°squeeze it!!! It leaks!!!
I wish I knew where this leaky sponge was when DD went to school. She didn't get a single penny from her D3 school.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I wish I knew where this leaky sponge was when DD went to school. She didn't get a single penny from her D3 school.
As you know, Everybody's situation has different factors. Including colleges having different factors and monies available. Mentioned what I did about squeezing more money because it does happen (seen it happen in d3) *particularly when softball athletes stepped up to also play on second Sports.

Lots and lots of things for people to navigate through! Part of which is planning, which may be the hardest thing for people to do!

Jr. College being free for 2 years may be the biggest overlooked thing nowadays. Definitely remind people about that opportunity since many people who are going to college are not going to graduate in 4 years.

Also seeing how many people are picking a four-year college and then transferring and then how many of their units don't transfer in the long run having to be at College longer and longer $$$$.
Consider getting the general stuff out of the way for free!
Make the bigger $$$$ decisions with more life experience and education about the situation!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Okay, so we are just getting back from Cali and I have heard news of this. How will this effect 2025's? My DD is a 2025 verbally committed to a G5 team. Does my DD need to be talking with her recruiting coordinator about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would say definitely have a conversation. Probably the biggest question is which schools/conferences are going to fully fund the 25 scholarships.

Jan 20, 2023
I would say definitely have a conversation. Probably the biggest question is which schools/conferences are going to fully fund the 25 scholarships.

I would assume for a lot of schools this will have to go through at least one annual budgeting process - as the money has to come from somewhere. Some might be able to move some money around- but doubling scholarships is a pretty major budget line item.

With all of the conference re-alignments a lot of budget have to be ballooning already.

Aug 8, 2023
MN
So basically... Mo money, mo money, mo money. đź’°đź’°

My daughter is a 2026, so this could impact her. If she ever decides to get motivated about the whole process.

May 27, 2013
Because it would be highly unethical and the school could get into BIG trouble if word got out that due to a kid playing a second sport (as the only reason), they were able to get more money from a D3 program. Unless, of course, the money was legitimately “needs-based.” Hence the reason why specific school names aren’t being mentioned.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
So basically... Mo money, mo money, mo money. đź’°đź’°

My daughter is a 2026
This past recent years have really created a difficult map to navigate. Now more change. Ask questions. Seek answers!

The good thing I'm hearing from my travel ball coaching friends is there is a ton of recruiting going on.
Suggest people keep their options open instead of pigeonholing in D1.

Aug 3, 2016
Okay, so we are just getting back from Cali and I have heard news of this. How will this effect 2025's? My DD is a 2025 verbally committed to a G5 team. Does my DD need to be talking with her recruiting coordinator about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nobody knows. It’s not official yet. And once it is nobody will know how many scholarships each school will fund. My guess is G5s will stay the same or ramp up over a couple years. Will depend on the school’s football program. P4s will jump up right away in order to meet the increases in the football and baseball programs.

Dec 6, 2019
Anxious to hear from an SEC coach on this topic, or from the conference as a whole. Feels like they need to speak first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalWood1013