My daughter has regressed in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We saw her pitching coach today. He did not see any issues with her mechanics.
What was the instructors assessment of situation? Since her mechanics were okay what else did they comment?

Feb 25, 2020
What kind of "strength training"? In my experience, sometimes strength training can make you better at strength training and kind of worse at what you want to do better.

Jul 27, 2015
What was the instructors assessment of situation? Since her mechanics were okay what else did they comment?
Her instructor is a former college pitching coach in his 50s. He has seen it all. She told him why we were there. Before she even pitched, he went on a long list of what it could be:
* too much pressure
* not getting along with a roommate
* eating habits
* being away from home
* lifting weights and getting too bulky and/or less flexible
* or mechanics

(I am sure he had a few more, but those were the ones off my head that I could remember)

So he says her mechanics look good. My daughter says things don't feel right, though. So she does not think her mechanics are right. She feels out of sync.

Another factor, which I had totally forgotten about, she is pitching off the gym floor at college now that the weather has gotten colder. She is pitching off a rubber at home. So there is definitely a little difference there - enough to throw everything off? I would not think so, but I am not a pitcher.

Jul 27, 2015
What kind of "strength training"? In my experience, sometimes strength training can make you better at strength training and kind of worse at what you want to do better.
Good point - and that is something I have certainly thought about.

Despite what some may think on this thread, I really have not gotten myself involved in her everyday activities for softball at college. She said they do more lower body than upper body work. She was showing me the last few days what she was doing at the gym, but I did not examine her list. Lat pull downs and push ups are the only two upper body things I remember. She specifically mentioned they don't do bench press.

Front squats and running are the only other exercises I remember. I know she does a lot more. I just have not paid attention.

Apr 12, 2015
My daughter says things don't feel right, though. So she does not think her mechanics are right. She feels out of sync.
That is probably it right there.

She doesn't feel right or comfortable so she probably isn't going all out with the pitch.

An athlete that doesn't feel comfortable isn't going to perform at 100%.

Since nothing obvious has been found with regards to mechanics, it is going to be incumbent on her to break down her motion and figure out where she isn't "feeling it". A general feeling of something being off can be very difficult to overcome.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Her instructor is a former college pitching coach in his 50s. He has seen it all. She told him why we were there. Before she even pitched, he went on a long list of what it could be:
* too much pressure
* not getting along with a roommate
* eating habits
* being away from home
* lifting weights and getting too bulky and/or less flexible
* or mechanics

(I am sure he had a few more, but those were the ones off my head that I could remember)

So he says her mechanics look good. My daughter says things don't feel right, though. So she does not think her mechanics are right. She feels out of sync.

Another factor, which I had totally forgotten about, she is pitching off the gym floor at college now that the weather has gotten colder. She is pitching off a rubber at home. So there is definitely a little difference there - enough to throw everything off? I would not think so, but I am not a pitcher.
There is a reason I suggested reviewing past video to current mechanics because of the small nuances that can be off.

To your point of throwing off the gym floor.
Was she throwing off a rubber on dirt at lessons? How routinely was she used to throwing off the floor before?
Obviously cleats dig in. Know it's a grip factor that I can feel/use.

There can be the possibility that throwing off the gym floor may have a different push or grip factor, as legs and lower half of body drive force in underhand pitching. Those things can have to do with balance and weight transfer to. Which can affect timing. Not to mention the drag foot.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That is probably it right there.

She doesn't feel right or comfortable so she probably isn't going all out with the pitch.

An athlete that doesn't feel comfortable isn't going to perform at 100%.

Since nothing obvious has been found with regards to mechanics, it is going to be incumbent on her to break down her motion and figure out where she isn't "feeling it". A general feeling of something being off can be very difficult to overcome.
Agree with this possibility also.
That mental part is one of the reasons that players who are asked to play positions they don't really want to play or are not accustomed to, may not have the same performance as their priority comfortable position.
'Out of sorts'

Jul 19, 2021
I disagree that my involvement is over. During the fall season, you bet I was not involved. She is home now for 6 weeks. I am going to try to help where I can.
Good for you. Taking unsolicited parenting advice from a stranger on the internet is beyond dumb so I don't know why some people give it. You do you and forget about the folks thinking they know the best way to raise your kids.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Good for you. Taking unsolicited parenting advice from a stranger on the internet is beyond dumb so I don't know why some people give it. You do you and forget about the folks thinking they know the best way to raise your kids.
Agree with that.

Liked Sluggers post simply because it was a completely different perspective.
Which sometimes can be eye opening and helpful.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06