My daughter has regressed in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD sorted this out for herself; she had already booked her old pitching coach for some lessons while she was home.

She seemed to maintain her speed (because she was SO fit) but lost some movement (which she still relies on more).

They worked through it; diagnosed it (it was early sequencing that was off) and they talked about ways to figure it out if it happens again. Once they figured that out - more speed, better movement.

My involvement: I sat on the bucket and pay for the lessons... But then I have ONLY been doing that for pitching since she was 14. I stopped trying to figure it all out for her around that time.

And today I will be at the field throwing front toss and hitting grounders. Same thing.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Throwing in the gym could be it. Different push for sure if without a rubber or if the matt slides on the floor.

Jul 19, 2021
My DD sorted this out for herself; she had already booked her old pitching coach for some lessons while she was home.

She seemed to maintain her speed (because she was SO fit) but lost some movement (which she still relies on more).

They worked through it; diagnosed it (it was early sequencing that was off) and they talked about ways to figure it out if it happens again. Once they figured that out - more speed, better movement.

My involvement: I sat on the bucket and pay for the lessons... But then I have ONLY been doing that for pitching since she was 14. I stopped trying to figure it all out for her around that time.

And today I will be at the field throwing front toss and hitting grounders. Same thing.
And good for you. I know parents who have done it both ways and everyone came out OK. Those who act like being involved with your daughter's softball journey after she turns 18 is some sort of death sentence for her development into adulting are clueless and should stick to what they know instead of playing parental guidance director. Gets tiresome reading the same folks giving UNSOLICITED parenting advice. If people want advice on parenting their kids, they damn sure won't come to a softball forum.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
And good for you. I know parents who have done it both ways and everyone came out OK. Those who act like being involved with your daughter's softball journey after she turns 18 is some sort of death sentence for her development into adulting are clueless and should stick to what they know instead of playing parental guidance director. Gets tiresome reading the same folks giving UNSOLICITED parenting advice. If people want advice on parenting their kids, they damn sure won't come to a softball forum.

All I offered is what has worked for my DD and myself - and I have seen work for so many other kids. I can't think of a time that this approach has gone wrong in any meaningful way.

I have, however, seen it go bad the other way. Sometimes it all ends up OK but I also know what happens when it doesn't.

Youth sports - and the world in general for that matter - is full of people who never want to listen to and assess advice from people who have been there numerous times before. Not saying it is perfect and everyone should do their own assessment, but it is worth a listen. And it certainly isn't an invitation to insult people.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@efastball reading the previous comments thought to ask you why is it you think speed is the dominating factor?
Perhaps two or three miles an hour above 69 mph can put someone at the very top of the speed gauge but below that, is that really relevant to dominating?

I would say control/location is more important than speed.

Because I know batter's can develop efficiency equivalent to speed and without control, speed is just a hitting machine.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Whether the games were meaningless or not, there is a huge difference in the performance between then and now That is what has me concerned. I have caught, who knows, 20,000-30,000? pitches from her. I think I am able to tell when things are off. Things are off.

My DD was a D1 pitcher. I know what you are going through.

In the greater scheme of things, softball is a fun little game played by kids. The most important thing is getting her a college education, not how well she throws a little yellow ball. So, your job as a parent is to make sure that she is on track with her college education.

As to pitching, she is the expert, you aren't. You've caught 30,000 pitches? She has thrown 150,000 pitches. How many games have you pitched? How many batters have you faced? How many seasons have you gone through? If she wants help, then fine. If not, then don't worry about. Your DD knows more about this than you do.

The softball season is grueling physically and mentally. It starts in 2 or 3 weeks. She will be going full throttle with softball until at least mid-May, with practice 6 days a week for 4 or 5 hours a day. Whatever minor mechanical things you work on in the next few days will be long forgotten by February 1.

Just enjoy the time off with her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28