My daughter has regressed in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We had a lane scheduled on Monday. Right before we were to leave my daughter said she got her travel ball catcher, who is at another college catching, to catch for her. I said great, and said I would stay home. I love when her friends catch for her. She practically begged me to go which seemed strange to me. So we got there, and she wanted me down with her seeing I could pick up on anything she was doing differently. So she knows something is off, and definitely wanted my input.
Perfect.

Jul 19, 2021
All I offered is what has worked for my DD and myself - and I have seen work for so many other kids. I can't think of a time that this approach has gone wrong in any meaningful way.

I have, however, seen it go bad the other way. Sometimes it all ends up OK but I also know what happens when it doesn't.

Youth sports - and the world in general for that matter - is full of people who never want to listen to and assess advice from people who have been there numerous times before. Not saying it is perfect and everyone should do their own assessment, but it is worth a listen. And it certainly isn't an invitation to insult people.
The latter part of my post was not directed at you. Sorry for causing confusion, I should structured it differently.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Another factor, which I had totally forgotten about, she is pitching off the gym floor at college now that the weather has gotten colder."

Not sure it would throw everything out of wack but would think the coach would try to figure out a way to simulate a rubber for the pitchers to throw off during the winter.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I will reply to this and then a general reply to all.

We had a lane scheduled on Monday. Right before we were to leave my daughter said she got her travel ball catcher, who is at another college catching, to catch for her. I said great, and said I would stay home. I love when her friends catch for her. She practically begged me to go which seemed strange to me. So we got there, and she wanted me down with her seeing I could pick up on anything she was doing differently. So she knows something is off, and definitely wanted my input.

--
General to all response:
As suggested on this thread, we watched a few highlight videos yesterday and noticed some things she was doing well in them that I am not convinced she is doing now. I will video her tomorrow and compare.

Speed is not the end all. I am well aware of that. But you have to have a minimum speed, IMO, in order to be effective. She is not at that minimum speed at this moment.
She is not at that minimum speed at this moment.

number please.

Jan 31, 2011
I will reply to this and then a general reply to all.

--
General to all response:
As suggested on this thread, we watched a few highlight videos yesterday and noticed some things she was doing well in them that I am not convinced she is doing now. I will video her tomorrow and compare.

Speed is not the end all. I am well aware of that. But you have to have a minimum speed, IMO, in order to be effective. She is not at that minimum speed at this moment.
It's hard to see your kid regress. I had two DDs in college ball. The freshman year was hard on me but I had to keep quiet and let the chips fall. I gave advice like talk to your coach if you are unhappy with softball. Ask what you can do to improve to help the team.

I also had a former player (in college) looking for hitting help over break. Her hitting problem was in her head so we did more talking than anything. She just needed to regain her confidence.

Like @sluggers said, the education she is receiving is the most import thing. Supporting her success in the classroom is paramount. Just an FYI - this is not parenting advice, its just an observation and reflection. Best of luck!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I would think that most parents or catchers who have caught the same pitcher for several years could easily tell if velocity has dropped or increased by a few mph.
I had a personal radar gun that I used on my D1 son for over a decade, and I could not reliably tell 2-3 mph difference.

Also I would gun kids at games and their dads never guessed speed correctly.

Speed is impossible to guess correctly because of Balls coming in high or low, or the sound they make with different gloves, and different parts of the glove, different times of day, or inside cages, or trees in the background, or. .

So unless the OP used the same radar gun both before and after, then he is guessing, and he might consider that the premise of the post is in question. Just here to help.

May 27, 2013
I had a personal radar gun that I used on my D1 son for over a decade, and I could not reliably tell 2-3 mph difference.

Speed is impossible to guess correctly because of Balls coming in high or low, or the sound they make with different gloves, and different parts of the glove, different times of day, or inside cages, or trees in the background, or. .

So unless the OP used the same radar gun both before and after, then he is guessing, and he might consider that the premise of the post is in question. Just here to help.

Could I tell you dd is hitting 60 vs 57? No. But I could tell you when her velocity is down by a few mph. I’m not talking about exact numbers - I’m talking about knowing that she isn’t throwing as hard as is typical for her.

ETA: I do believe you are trying to help. I like to think that most of us on here try to. 😊

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
"Another factor, which I had totally forgotten about, she is pitching off the gym floor at college now that the weather has gotten colder."

Not sure it would throw everything out of wack but would think the coach would try to figure out a way to simulate a rubber for the pitchers to throw off during the winter.
My daughter asked about getting a mat. The coach said it was not necessary.

Jul 27, 2015

I use a Pocket Radar gun. I know how to use it (try to be in a strait line with the pitcher and hold the gun strait up and down), and have used it for years. I have verified the speed of the Pocket Radar in my car against Waze and Garmin speeds. In addition, we can both see it with our eyes that she is slower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee