Pitching stats per level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
If they do not practice on their own, how do pitchers get better?
That's why become short supply!

Do they not practice because they are playing 60-70 games in a year?
Big believer in pitchers get better with practice not games.
imo There is no one-size-fits-all response because families and players take different paths. Some do heavy extra training, some do minimal. Some Pitch A Lot, some hardly pitch at all. Some pay attention and have a strategy how many pitches per week they throw. Others don't. Some do softball as an activity., some play softball as a competitive sport.

What we see in the softball world is multiple different Talent levels that exist under the same umbrella name which is travel ball. From underdeveloped all the way to Elite. Activity versus competitive challenge separates the crowd.

Jan 25, 2022
Just from what I've seen around our region, for a combined general population of about 60,000 (within 1 hour from end to end) and 10 high schools (plus middle schools and rec,) there are only 3 or 4 paid pitching instructors that I'm aware of.

I think what's having a significant impact on a pitcher shortage is a lack of pitching instruction via team coaches. Learning to teach and analyze the very basics isn't super difficult. Having a team coach or assistant who can throw out some free basic lessons at practice for even the kids that are mildly interested can be very helpful. I just don't see much of that around here. Most coaches are men who didn't play fastpitch at all, much less pitching. In baseball, anyone can pitch at a basic level because it's overhand throw. Plus most coaches played baseball so there's more ex pitchers out there.

I do it, but at this point it's a situation where we're trying to get an older kid going enough to hit the zone. Catching the younger ones with a small program and other sports has been a challenge.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
If they do not practice on their own, how do pitchers get better?
Do they not practice because they are playing 60-70 games in a year?
Big believer in pitchers get better with practice not games. One of the few things in sports that pitchers execution is with no other player involved.
I agree. Bad habits or strange new patterns are easily picked up during game stress. Old habits creep back in, etc. Gotta sharpen the sword regularly. Reset that muscle memory. I see it every season. Too many games and the pitchers aren't resetting, and performance takes a hit in the last third of the season.

May 13, 2021
Out of all these responses - for a pitcher her age - here's what stands out to me. And I'll add two at the end....

1. Pursue mound time on the best team possible. Mound time is more important than the team right now, but team quality does matter.
2. Provide some game video to her pitching coach, which it seems you are doing.
3. Walks are probably the only stat that has much bearing right now. Still, don't get too caught up in this, as she's still a beginner.

My two cents worth....

4. Focus on improving mechanics. Results won't come without them. I'll go as far as to say that she shouldn't really care about results at all right now. Always mechanics for now.
5. Help her enjoy the work and have confidence in what she's doing. Patience is big. You showing that patience and confidence is hugely important, and your appreciation of her efforts will have a life impact far beyond the game or any success she has playing it.

Becoming a pitcher is a long, arduous journey. She'll work longer and harder than most anyone other player on her team. She'll be under more scrutiny from players and parents alike and face certain competitive pressures that other positions don't. It will test her and build her in ways that will make you more proud than you can imagine.

My DD was fortunate to have a pitching coach who helped me understand these things when she still at 11-12 range. I took them to heart, and it probably had more impact than anything else we ever experienced in softball.
I agree that mechanics should be the number concern. How
It seems pitcher gets short changed at some point. Wonder why pitchers are in short supply?
I am in the minority in that while some circle time is needed, do not see a need for a ton. More concerned over too many innings vs not enough.

What is the benefit at this age of getting 100 innings vs 30 innings over a year?
For young pitchers, I think you should be on the best team you can get on and pitch at least one full game in every tournament. Why do I say the best team you can get on. Because defense matters.

May 13, 2023
Just from what I've seen around our region, for a combined general population of about 60,000 (within 1 hour from end to end) and 10 high schools (plus middle schools and rec,) there are only 3 or 4 paid pitching instructors that I'm aware of.

I think what's having a significant impact on a pitcher shortage is a lack of pitching instruction via team coaches. Learning to teach and analyze the very basics isn't super difficult. Having a team coach or assistant who can throw out some free basic lessons at practice for even the kids that are mildly interested can be very helpful. I just don't see much of that around here. Most coaches are men who didn't play fastpitch at all, much less pitching. In baseball, anyone can pitch at a basic level because it's overhand throw. Plus most coaches played baseball so there's more ex pitchers out there.

I do it, but at this point it's a situation where we're trying to get an older kid going enough to hit the zone. Catching the younger ones with a small program and other sports has been a challenge.
Yeah don't see many coaches themselves looking to improve what they're doing either. And that's just how to run a practice.
Can't imagine them taking time to learn pitching unless it's their own kid.

May 13, 2021

At the younger ages there is no shortage of girls that want to pitch. Every 10u team around has at least 6 girls that say they want to pitch. There is however a shortage of serviceable pitchers. Due to either the kid the parent or both not willing to put in the work that is required to be able to get out there and at least throw 40% strikes. As you know this is practice that is required outside of practice on top of hitting practice/lessons fielding practice. You have to have a parent that is willing to almost sacrifice their entire life, not a lot of those out there.

May 13, 2023
What is the frustration level of a person who calls themselves a coach who does not actually know how to coach the position the player is at?

Maybe there are coaches who don't get frustrated about it because they take no responsibility and leave that to the instructors?!🤷‍♀️

May 13, 2021
What is the frustration level of a person who calls themselves a coach who does not actually know how to coach the position the player is at?

Maybe there are coaches who don't get frustrated about it because they take no responsibility and leave that to the instructors?!🤷‍♀️
Half the instructors that are getting paid to teach kids how to pitch, don't know how to coach the position.

May 13, 2023
Half the instructors that are getting paid to teach kids how to pitch, don't know how to coach the position.
There is either a frustration level with that
( that the instructor may be experiencing their own frustration)
or there is a disconnect regarding the results.

Mechanics will always be a discussion point regarding good or bad / pros and cons.

Could be, One person's trash is another person's treasure LOL

Dec 20, 2023
I will agree finding a level of devotion to be elite is rare. I will not pigeon-hole my child into one interest and extra curricular at 11. She loves basketball, she loves music, we need time to devote to her other passions, that being said, I realize pitching wont be a passion for long if she’s not improving and getting better. She hasn’t done a ton of reps in the last few weeks because of the holidays and heck, she just needs time off. Originally I thought her team would be doing some fall games/practices but they decided to wait to start up practices in 2024. I was less than thrilled because pitchers need to pitch to keep the skill sharpened, and we live in the snow belt, in a rural county, not a ton of indoor practice facilities for us to work on. All that being said, she has a lesson with her pitching instructor tonight and her first team practice this Sunday if we don’t get weathered out. 😊.

Also, I disagree at the younger ages there are a lot of girls, our small rec league had only 3 at the 10u level that wanted to pitch, it was a logistical problem for our league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles