Minimum age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Our league (ASA) has a parent asking to register their DD for our Fall Ball season, but a question has come up about a minimum age restriction. The player is currently 4yo, and will turn 5 in December of this year. My first thought is that this would make her "playing age" 5, and would therefore be good to go for the 6U division.

This isn't a question about whether the kid should be playing at such a young age, but about any ASA regulation prohibiting it.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Doesn't 6U mean 6 and under and not 6 only. Some 14's play 18U and that's OK. My DD played 10U at 7 so I would think it's OK.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Doesn't 6U mean 6 and under and not 6 only. Some 14's play 18U and that's OK. My DD played 10U at 7 so I would think it's OK.

Yes, 6U technically means "6 and under", but there has been some concern raised about a possible minimum age. I'm just trying to get some sort of definitive answer (such as an ASA regulation).

May 9, 2014
There have been many many 4 year olds in our 6U division, I don't think it is that abnormal around here at least. But it isn't really competitive either, they get coach pitches and then the T so everyone gets to hit, etc. Its a real shock for many when they get to our 8U and strike out, etc, I wish it was more competitive to make the transition to 8U easier, but then I guess the 4 year olds might not be ready.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Our league (ASA) has a parent asking to register their DD for our Fall Ball season, but a question has come up about a minimum age restriction. The player is currently 4yo, and will turn 5 in December of this year. My first thought is that this would make her "playing age" 5, and would therefore be good to go for the 6U division.

This isn't a question about whether the kid should be playing at such a young age, but about any ASA regulation prohibiting it.

Hey Eric,

I'm from a neighboring league to yours, and my youngest played many 6u games against teams from your league when she was 4 going on 5. This was 5 years ago. I remember your league had a few girls like that back then as well. I've seen them as young as 3.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hey Eric,

I'm from a neighboring league to yours, and my youngest played many 6u games against teams from your league when she was 4 going on 5. This was 5 years ago. I remember your league had a few girls like that back then as well. I've seen them as young as 3.

Thanks! Our current league board (myself being one of them) weren't 100% sure. Better to be safe...