Always Play Your Age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
However, you brought up a great point. 16u is where recruiting happens. Does that factor into the decision to play up?
Cannot get officially recruited as a rising Soph but if they are that good people would know about them regardless of 14u or 16u. That kid on DD’s team has had plenty of unofficial interest already..

Jun 8, 2016
these girls play on top level HS teams (with several committed players) that are very competitive in Districts/Areas/Regions that are also very competitive, and then play 14u in the summer. In 4-5 top of mind examples, the 14u travel team would have 0% chance to win against the HS team (it wouldn't be close).
I know a couple of 2026's that did well in HS ball in Dallas Metro area that play on the Texas Glory 14U Naudin team (probably one of the top 10 14U teams in the country) and while that team may not beat a top TX HS team it certainly wouldn't be a blowout..

Apr 20, 2017
It depends on the level of the 14u team the kid was on. If your playing the top National tournaments then staying with your age to me is beneficial especially for recruiting. That is what my DD did but did go and play some 18u games. But the recruiting is different at older groups so to me with the current recruiting rules you are better off playing the highest level for your age group.

Apr 14, 2022
I would say a 7th grader (spring) plays 14U unless they would not get playing time. Mound moves back, and IMO it is all about development. DD was born a month before the cutoff so I might have a different opinion if the decision was not made for her. I can say improvement of trying to beat a team of Freshmen in 14U is much greater than dominating 12U team of 5th graders.
14U I can see staying down. I think a larger % of players stay down. Colleges can watch, and I bet most Juniors play 16U or split 16/18 if they can so it will continue through.

May 13, 2021
I would say a 7th grader (spring) plays 14U unless they would not get playing time. Mound moves back, and IMO it is all about development. DD was born a month before the cutoff so I might have a different opinion if the decision was not made for her. I can say improvement of trying to beat a team of Freshmen in 14U is much greater than dominating 12U team of 5th graders.
14U I can see staying down. I think a larger % of players stay down. Colleges can watch, and I bet most Juniors play 16U or split 16/18 if they can so it will continue through.
12u would be 6th graders for most girls.

Apr 14, 2022
Depends on your state but most are sep1 cutoff. A simple 8/12 would get 67% if 7th graders qualify for 12u. That would probably be high as not every July/ August starts school a slightly more fall birthdays so it is probably lower but still a lot.

Aug 5, 2022

Most of our 12u team was 7th graders now 8th graders. Mine is a 5th now 6th grader and barely old enough to be 12u as a November 2011. Depends on school cut offs and where you were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021
Most of our 12u team was 7th graders now 8th graders. Mine is a 5th now 6th grader and barely old enough to be 12u as a November 2011. Depends on school cut offs and where you were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe different school start dates in different states. My DD's entire team which is mostly early in the year birthdays will be 6th and 7th grade when they get to 12u.

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe different school start dates in different states. My DD's entire team which is mostly early in the year birthdays will be 6th and 7th grade when they get to 12u.
There are 2028's (rising 8th graders) right now still in 12U ball with OK's Aug. 31 school cutoff. My DD has them (and plays against them) on her MS team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad