Looking for high school, college guidance.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar - I know you teach in college but this isn’t how grades would be distributed in your classes, would it?
Before or after I got in trouble for having a high standard and kids and their parents complained to the Dean and I got called into his office and we got into a screaming match because I told him he needed to stop letting any old dummy into the Engineering program?

The average grade in College in 2022 is a high B I believe..That is where I am at because I need to keep my job…

May 27, 2013
The average grade in College in 2022 is a high B I believe..That is where I am at because I need to keep my job…

This drives me crazy. It’s almost like the “every kid gets a trophy” mentality. I’m sorry to hear that you pretty much have your hands tied.

Jun 8, 2016
This drives me crazy. It’s almost like the “every kid gets a trophy” mentality. I’m sorry to hear that you pretty much have your hands tied.
Part of it is the cost of higher education. Nobody wants to pay all that money for their kid to get C’s.

The other problem, in Engineering at least, is that many employers don’t really care that much about what a kid knows when they graduate. They haven’t figured out that paying a highly competent new hire twice the normal starting salary would be better than paying 3 average (or less) new hires. The highly competent hire would likely be more productive in the long run than the 3 average engineers combined..

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

I know of at least a couple of Profs in the physics and engineering departments at DD's school who haven't yet received that memo. Summer school is full of refugees from their classes. The average there appears to be a low C/high D.

Jun 8, 2016
I know of at least a couple of Profs in the physics and engineering departments at DD's school who haven't yet received that memo. Summer school is full of refugees from their classes. The average there appears to be a low C/high D.
Good..they haven’t run into whiny donor parents or their Dean has a spine.

For some students getting a (real) A merely involves a small amount of studying. I had friends like that. For others like me that meant sometimes sleeping in the library. If you are one of those students and you don’t want to do that it is perfectly acceptable..just don’t expect an A 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm surprised I haven't seen this a lot more here, but it's a common (correct) refrain: College coaches don't care about HS ball (and this is coming from a high school coach).

If the coach overusing her is a problem, why not just not play for the HS team? Some college coaches may wonder why she stopped playing HS ball, but that's easy to explain ("He was putting her health at risk") away.

If the HS Softball situation is that bad, don't play HS Softball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
99%...
College coaches already know h.s. situations can be a circus. They may not even care to ask about what happened with high school and if they do ask the answer they care about is more to see how you can communicate about yourself then it would be the answer.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
LOL. DD's says her professors make their classes unnecessarily difficult. I am glad. DD graduated in top 5% in HS, and I still think she is dumbA$$. As I talk to former classmates ('88) we all agree HS was much more difficult than today. Heck they stop teaching stuff at the end of April and coast in the month of May. How about all these final exemptions? I took every single final in every class my entire academic life. I graduated in the second qtr and noone thought I was a dummy.

If you aren't' taking AP classes, you are looked down upon. The counselors automatically put my DD2 in AP classes and I had to fight back as this was not the best route for her. I remember the kids in AP classes were all the smart, nerdy gifted kids. It was the top of the class. How is it that ALL of my adult friends have kids in AP classes?

No lie. No less than 40 Valedictorians every year at two of the HS's across the freeway from DD HS.

May 27, 2013
I remember the kids in AP classes were all the smart, nerdy gifted kids. It was the top of the class. How is it that ALL of my adult friends have kids in AP classes?

Not saying this is what your friends have done, but a lot of times it’s parents calling the school and pushing for their kid to be in them. At our public HS, you are “recommended” for certain classes based on previous year’s record, but this can be over-ridden very easily.

At DD’s HS there were certain pre-reqs that had to be met in order to be placed in an honors/AP class. It was very difficult to get approved for those classes if you didn’t meet the pre-reqs.

I actually was just talking to DD’s one friend who graduated #2 in her class from our public HS. She struggled this year in her Bio 101 class even though she had AP Bio in HS. She said she was surprised at how fast the pace was and how much more specific it got in college.

Jun 8, 2016
I actually was just talking to DD’s one friend who graduated #2 in her class from our public HS. She struggled this year in her Bio 101 class even though she had AP Bio in HS. She said she was surprised at how fast the pace was and how much more specific it got in college.
Unfortunately some/many kids entering college in 2022 need a class on how to unplug so they can sit down and concentrate for a few hours...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish