Looking for high school, college guidance.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
MY DD will be a 2024 high school graduate and looking to play college ball. Her current high school she is the only pitcher on the team and pitched every game this past season. She had a fantastic year and finished 4th in the state in strikeouts. We didn't like the situation and was scared of overuse injury. Luckily everything worked out and she stayed healthy. Going forward it looks she will be only pitcher and we are not liking the direction the softball program is going. We were looking at possibly transferring to a private school with a better softball program. She currently holds a 3.8 gpa. We are scared going to private school will affect her gpa and possibly hurting her in recruiting. Would a lower gpa from a better academic school look better than a higher gpa from a public school? Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Just to add to the discussion. My DD pitched in 32 games. Threw 174 innings, 2811 pitches. Does this seem like its to much?
My dd is literally the only pitcher on the team and the coach is and has not tried to develop any other pitchers. The program is going down fast with other kids transferring out.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
In this case, her ERA is pretty important. :)

Having said that, if the private school you are considering is so much more demanding that her GPA will suffer, I think I would be more worried about that because college is certainly more demanding than high school. Also, I was under the impression that a lot of private schools provide more support for students who need help than do public schools, so maybe she will be better off.

Jun 25, 2014
In this case, her ERA is pretty important. :)

Having said that, if the private school you are considering is so much more demanding that her GPA will suffer, I think I would be more worried about that because college is certainly more demanding than high school. Also, I was under the impression that a lot of private schools provide more support for students who need help than do public schools, so maybe she will be better off.
We talked to several of the parents from the private High school and most said there kids grades dropped a little bit and there was an adjustment period before they got back on track. We meet with the admissions counselor this week hoping to get some questions answered.

Apr 25, 2019
Something to consider too.....in Louisiana at least, if you go from a public school to a private school you have to sit out a year. Might be worth looking into.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
A slightly lower GPA from a better school with more rigorous academic curriculum should not have a negative impact college admissions. Now if her GPA tumbles at a tougher school, that might be a problem. But if it goes from 3.8 to 3.6, probably not.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Are you considering switching schools based on softball? We considered it for about one minute. The competition in our district would have been way better since many of the players on the opposing teams played TB and were on track to play college. DD could have won a state title her Sr yr but the competition would have been a significant step down. The pitcher at this school was on DD's TB team and now is at UPENN.

Aug 25, 2019
Are you looking for a free ride in college o r just to make a team? It sounds ludicrous to start paying tuition when it sounds like she's already on track to play in college. Take that private school tuition money you're willing to pay and put it in a college.fund. If she's on a good TB team, that's a big consideration for college coaches.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We were looking at possibly transferring to a private school with a better softball program. She currently holds a 3.8 gpa. We are scared going to private school will affect her gpa and possibly hurting her in recruiting. Would a lower gpa from a better academic school look better than a higher gpa from a public school?
Imho. You are letting the tail wag the dog.

Her softball career should not be driving your decisions Softball will be over in 6 years, at best. She needs to be thinking about academics and her career.

Also, if she is successful emotionally, socially and academicaly, you shouldn't move her. There is a lot more to life than throwing a ball.

If you are worried about overuse, talk to the coach and work out a plan. The real issue is days rest between starts, not number of games .

Unless your DD is playing for one of the top teams in the country, College coaches don't care about HS or TB stats. What is important is the way you market your DD. A good video, lots of emails, and a good sales pitch

Aug 6, 2013
Imho. You are letting the tail wag the dog.

Her softball career should not be driving your decisions Softball will be over in 6 years, at best. She needs to be thinking about academics and her career.

If you are worried about overuse, talk to the coach and work out a plan.

Unless your DD is playing for one of the top teams in the country, College coaches don't care about HS or TB stats. What is important is the way you market your DD. A good video, lots of emails, and a good sales pitch
Agreed on all of this. Recently there was a post from a pitcher's parent about how she was throwing every pitch of every game and how they worked with the HS Coach to correct this issue as they were also afraid of overuse. I mean - she has the upper hand on this I would think. She can just tell the high school coach she is too sore to throw that day and if they don't want to listen I would imagine the school has a trainer? Put together a plan but save that money for college because very rarely is anyone getting a full ride to play softball - unless she is Jordy Bahl type of material?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
All depends on how much lower. A couple more Bs probably doesn't matter. However, if you're looking at a bunch of Cs or lower, you'll have a problem. There's also test scores. Some schools no longer require them if the GPA is high enough, but they can be used to show college readiness instead of a really high GPA.

The types of classes also matter. Getting a "B" in an AP class is more helpful to the weighted GPA than getting an "A" in the on-level version.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying