Looking for high school, college guidance.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Unfortunately some/many kids entering college in 2022 need a class on how to unplug so they can sit down and concentrate for a few hours...
That should get started with all age groups immediately!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I remember the kids in AP classes were all the smart, nerdy gifted kids. It was the top of the class. How is it that ALL of my adult friends have kids in AP classes?

Because it looks better when a school can boast x% of kids take AP classes (let's not talk about how only 5% of them actually get college credit for the class).

I've been complaining to nobody in particular about this for a while. Kids who belong in Honors, or sometimes even regular, classes are funneled into AP classes and they have a miserable experience trying to maintain a passing grade just so they can get a 1 on the AP test. It's absolutely not in the best interest of those students.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Because it looks better when a school can boast x% of kids take AP classes (let's not talk about how only 5% of them actually get college credit for the class).

I've been complaining to nobody in particular about this for a while. Kids who belong in Honors, or sometimes even regular, classes are funneled into AP classes and they have a miserable experience trying to maintain a passing grade just so they can get a 1 on the AP test. It's absolutely not in the best interest of those students.
LOL! DD got 3's and 4's on her AP tests, but her college only gives credits for 4's and 5's depending on the class and sometimes won't accept some AP's at all. Meanwhile other colleges will give 2 classes (6 hours) of credit for 3's! Parents think their kids will be sophomores when they start college but it's doesn't always work out that way. Do your homework.

Jun 8, 2016
LOL! DD got 3's and 4's on her AP tests, but her college only gives credits for 4's and 5's depending on the class and sometimes won't accept some AP's at all. Meanwhile other colleges will give 2 classes (6 hours) of credit for 3's! Parents think their kids will be sophomores when they start college but it's doesn't always work out that way. Do your homework.
I had AP credit for calc and physics but I didn't take the credit. My parents figured freshmen year would be hard enough as it is so taking a few classes which I already knew the material wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

Mar 22, 2010
My daughter got credit for many classes taking AP and was able to substantially reduce her workload. This was particularly helpful in season.

Jul 5, 2016
I actually was just talking to DD’s one friend who graduated #2 in her class from our public HS. She struggled this year in her Bio 101 class even though she had AP Bio in HS. She said she was surprised at how fast the pace was and how much more specific it got in college.
1975 - I did very well in high school and took some advanced classes - I didn't even know what AP was then. But I still remember the shock of my first semester of college - the workload, the pace.

Jul 5, 2016
The college credit from AP classes is worthless... you want to take them to increase your weighted GPA.
I think this is only partially true. If don't think you want to claim AP credit for courses central to your major (e.g. AP calc if you are a chem/bio chem/physics major) but if you can claim credits for some other classes why not.

Jan 25, 2022
You all have got me thinking my older daughter has a better shot to play in college at some level than I thought. Just finished 10th grade with a 27 ACT (just the first attempt), 4.3 GPA and #1 class rank...lol

Now we just gotta work on the softball side of things...lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You all have got me thinking my older daughter has a better shot to play in college at some level than I thought. Just finished 10th grade with a 27 ACT (just the first attempt), 4.3 GPA and #1 class rank...lol

Now we just gotta work on the softball side of things...lol
Get a 36 and she'll be able to write her own ticket to lots of places.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101