Looking for high school, college guidance.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I'm hoping. My wife's best friend's son scored 31, 34, 35, 35. It drove him nuts not getting the 36 but he had a drawer full of letters from schools to choose from.
If she really wants to get that score, hire a private tutor. It's an investment and whatever money you spend you will get back in free tuition.

Oct 10, 2018
The college credit from AP classes is worthless... you want to take them to increase your weighted GPA.

Not so much the case anymore I'm hearing. DD has a college advisor (private, outside school) who is telling me that with many schools no longer requiring (or even wanting) ACT/SAT they are relying more and more on the transcript and the *unweighted* GPA. They want to see honors and AP classes but they also want to see high grades in those classes to get a true measure of the kid's academic abilities.

I've been told in college recruiting seminars, more than once, on a player profile if you list the weighted grade, also include the unweighted.

May 27, 2013
Just look very carefully into the specific colleges. I believe some high academic schools went back to requiring SAT/ACT. Also, some of the merit money is based off of test scores in addition to GPA.

May 27, 2013
I didn't read whole thread so if this has been addressed, I apologize. What are some good/easy community involvement ideas?

My dd volunteered and gave pitching clinics for the local Little League. She also volunteered at local food pantries. Doing the LL thing was nice because she incorporated her working with young kids into her college essay since it ties into her career goals, as well.

My ds currently volunteers at the local VA home.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't read whole thread so if this has been addressed, I apologize. What are some good/easy community involvement ideas?
My dd did a bunch of stuff. Some with her TB team and some due to our HS requirements. Here are some that my dd did:

• She worked in a food pantry for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • She volunteered time at an animal shelter.
  • She served the homeless meals at Thanksgiving and Christmas. (A separate part of the first thing I mentioned.)
  • She read to children who had reading problems and helped tutor them. (A part of school requirements for community involvement.) Side note on this one. One of the kids bit her while she was trying to help the young man read. He was a "biter" and no one at the facility told her that.
  • She volunteered for softball clinics for families who could not afford to send their children to pay to attend camps.
  • She volunteered as a TB coach for her TB program so she was coaching and playing at the same time.
My dd's community involvement was noted when she applied to various colleges and did, in fact, get her larger financial offers. When she went to college, she got her college coach to get the college players involved in both the food pantry and the holiday meals.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think this is only partially true. If don't think you want to claim AP credit for courses central to your major (e.g. AP calc if you are a chem/bio chem/physics major) but if you can claim credits for some other classes why not.
Only replying to you to get into the AP convo. Not necessarily responding to your comment.

Some colleges only see AP as a more rigerous HS class and give you no credit for it. Some even re-calculate your GPA without the honor points.

Some accept the AP course as an equal to the college course and you start your college life with college credit.

Some accept the course as a replacement for a required class but do not alllow the credits as part of your requirement for graduation. For instance My dd didn’t have to take English 101 or calc but she didn’t start her college career with any credits.

Check out what your preferred college’s policies are.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
We did stuff for honor society..which I had to be dragged to.

I remember being called in to the room of the teachers who were in charge of NHS when I was in high school. They were going over my record and were very complimentary of my grades and all that stuff.

Then one of them said, "You need X hours of community service. You have...four."
"What? How did I get four?"
"If you want to be in the National Honor Society you need to increase these hours."
"Then I guess I'm not going to be in it."

In case you're all wondering if I've always been insufferable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812