Questions for high school coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
We have open enrollment in our district and are going to open houses the next few weeks. Primary choice is academic- but coaches are usually there for questions. Anything you would ask a potential high school coach at an open house? I’m pretty sure we’re sticking with our neighborhood school but my daughter wants to see some other schools just to be sure.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Does open enrollment mean you can choose any high school that is in your district? Public or Private schools? How does transportation work?

Kids have to go to the high school they are assigned to, (based on where you live) and transportation is included to that school. The only other option in this area is to send your kid to a private school. Sorry for the newbie questions, this is something I have not heard of if you are talking about Public schools.

Question you might want to ask would be how many softball teams do they field. Do they field a freshman team, a JV team, and a Varsity Team? May want to ask if there are morning workouts, and then ask yourself if you can get your child to morning workouts.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure what open enrollment means for HS either. DD was assigned to specific public school based on were we lived.

If I had a choice I would look at their record and try to contact former and current parents. Talking to coach would be low on my list. You will get different opinions which is good to decide if your DD is a good fit.

Jan 20, 2023
So, we have an assigned school based on where we live- but we can apply to go to other public schools in the district (which usually have a buffer capacity for open enrollment). A lot of them have specialized programs. There’s a biomedical academy, an entrepreneurial one, a flight and engineering one, a leadership one, IB, one that has dual enrollment with the local college. To be honest I can’t even keep track of all of the options. Transportation is provided to your zoned one- but there are some other busing options from centralized locations- we also have city buses- students get a free pass. It’s really cool and we have three options within a 10 minute drive of our house. You’re not guaranteed any program as some have limited space. They’ve done a really good job of balancing programs and revitalizing schools by creating cool programs to draw kids into to schools with dropping enrollment.

Our neighborhood high school is more than half open enrolled (less than half the students live in the boundaries) because it has cool programs and nobody is selling their house to make room for new families. Yet they keep building houses on the other side of town. They are talking about building new schools over there- but that will take time.

I guess it sounds pretty crazy but it works really well- I would rate our district as well above average on innovation and options.

Dec 6, 2019
Being on a high school team where any of the coaches are parents of current players just sucks, even if they don't play the same position.

May 13, 2023
Coach, in games, do you play the top nine of your roster or does everyone on the roster play?

Coach, what are your goals for the season?

Coach, do you allow players to use their own hitting mechanics, or do you coach all the players to one particular set of mechanics?

Coach, what is your practice attendance policy to game playing time?

* these questions are also good for travel team purposes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles