Leaving National Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Most of the times the "silly words" (and I agree they are silly) are bestowed upon the team by the org. In theory DD's team was the third best team in her age group in the org so they got the "Gold" distinction. However the Premier team (the second "best" team) disbanded after this season and DD's team was just good as them (and comparable to the "National" team) so they will probably be "Premier" this year...not sure what I think about that tbh.

Yeah, I do understand that the individual team (and certainly the parents) doesn't/don't have much control over if their team gets the "Gold" title.

I didn't know Premier > Gold. I need a decoder ring.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, I do understand that the individual team (and certainly the parents) doesn't/don't have much control over if their team gets the "Gold" title.

I didn't know Premier > Gold. I need a decoder ring.
Might just be our org but National>Premier>Gold>Platinum
Although now apparently according to their tryout listing they are "Forming National/Premier/Platinum" teams so maybe Gold is defunct..who knows :ROFLMAO:
Life was simpler when the name of your team was the town you lived in.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
My major complaint is that coaches/org can just call a team whatever and thus out of hubris sign up for any tournament that will take their money.
No one is earning their name thru winning anything.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
My major complaint is that coaches/org can just call a team whatever and thus out of hubris sign up for any tournament that will take their money.
No one is earning their there name thru winning anything.
Yeah DD's coach was complaining about that. He coached his DD when she played 8-10 yrs ago and the monikers apparently meant something..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not sure how long ago that was but nowadays you can watch teams from all over the country play via different forms of livestreams. Also all the "big" tournament results are easily accessible via the web. Before that it would have been hard to gauge how good your team was. I mean in the bigger picture, no 12U-14U team is "good" when you compare them to College kids, or in my case initially MLB players ( I still have a hard time turning off my MLB fliter when watching...that was my reference for 30+ years), so if that is your only reference it was certainly possible to underestimate. Nowadays there is really no excuse to not have a feeling for the level of your kid and her team unless you just don't want to know or don't have the ability to distinguish between great,good and not so good..
DD played in the era where you took a picture of the bracket at the concession stand so you can have it on your phone. ASA softball started using their online platform which was clunky at the time, but has improved vastly. Tourneymachine has made it so much easier to follow teams as well. The last real tryout DD attended was in 9th grade (2016) and by then I had done my homework and knew which team was who and what girls have committed to what school. Back then all tryouts, tourney listings and team announcements was done via ETeams and facebook groups hadn't taken off yet. And the Bombers only had 18 teams!

May 10, 2021
There is a team in our area that has a national and a regional team...the regional team is better. You don't necessarily have to be a better player to be on a national team, you just have to be willing to travel.

I also disagree that most parents are delusional about the level of competition they are playing and have visions of their daughter playing at Oklahoma. Does that happen, yes. But I don't see a lot of C level girls and parents joining National teams, nor would they take girls at that level. Most girls follow a similar progression - excel at rec, move to local travel/club team, excel there, move to a more competitive travel/club team, excel there - possibly look for higher level state/regional team, excel there then look at a national team. Maybe I'm giving parents too much credit (I know, it's dangerous), but unless your daughter is consistently dominating on an A level regional power, why would you join a national team? I mean, the rankings are easily available for any parent to look at, it's pretty easy to see where your daughter/team falls in the pecking order. Then ask what will make her and your family the happiest. If it's a local team, great. If it's regional, fantastic. If it's national, go for it!
My DD was a good rec player, now a good B/C player. Not dominating but hitting bombs and consistently driving the ball into gaps. Pitches as well but again not dominating but getting efficient and changing speeds well.

My daughter has been invited to try out for a "regional" team 2 hours away. Her current coach actually set it up and said it would be a great opportunity for her. The new coach/current coach played together in college. Her development has been rapid. We are going to the tryout, if selected the cost is 3X what we currently pay plus multiple out of state tournaments in the fall and next Summer. This will be a 15U team. This team played at the Colorado Sparkler but overall had about a .333 winning percentage this Summer; hence the tryouts...lol

For any experienced parents what made you want to commit to this? What is to be gained if she is offered a roster spot? Or is it a money grab on a probably below average team that should be playing A/B games? IDK but I will find out.

I'll take any advice and experience on this.

Oct 18, 2009
For some kids/families it just isn’t worth it. For others it is. Some do national teams for the exposure/experience and they can afford to. For others it just isn’t possible. Everyone has different goals. If a kid wants to play at a school in the SEC/PAC12 or other regular top 25 school being on a “National” team and having the talent is definitely helpful if you are not in that area. Coaches will see that they are playing at the tournaments against the best national competition. And if you are in a good organization those coaches may have some pull with getting those coaches to put eyes on their players. Playing on a local/regional team is fine if the college they want to play at is local or regional and the coaches attend tournaments that they will be at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Up to her and the family.

I love watching my girls play softball. But the time and money involved is a lot. They love it, so we'll do it. However, I do miss rec ball with a single double-header at the local park on a Saturday.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD was a good rec player, now a good B/C player. Not dominating but hitting bombs and consistently driving the ball into gaps. Pitches as well but again not dominating but getting efficient and changing speeds well.

My daughter has been invited to try out for a "regional" team 2 hours away. Her current coach actually set it up and said it would be a great opportunity for her. The new coach/current coach played together in college. Her development has been rapid. We are going to the tryout, if selected the cost is 3X what we currently pay plus multiple out of state tournaments in the fall and next Summer. This will be a 15U team. This team played at the Colorado Sparkler but overall had about a .333 winning percentage this Summer; hence the tryouts...lol

For any experienced parents what made you want to commit to this? What is to be gained if she is offered a roster spot? Or is it a money grab on a probably below average team that should be playing A/B games? IDK but I will find out.

I'll take any advice and experience on this.
If at 14u/15u Sparkler is there competition level it shouldn't be three times the amount to play for them.

Can understand paying little more if there is actually good coaching. But if the development level of the team is still at that sparkler level you're not paying for a better competition level team.
Plus the .333 winning percentage is also a tell being at that age 15u.

*It might be *exciting for somebody to have arranged meeting these coaches and that's a neat opportunity. But I would seek out other opportunities also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA