Leaving National Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
My dd has never played on a “national” team (has had plenty of offers). I coach her 16U team (she’s an 08 but want to play 16’s as long as possible). Our 16U is a regional/local team. This year I have had a ton of interest from players/families that did a national and they are ready to get back staying local. Anyone else experiencing that? Most say they can get the same experience softball wise playing local. They all agree that the price of national teams combined with the economy the way it is, is just too much money. Just thought I’d get a discussion going about it

Jun 8, 2016
My dd has never played on a “national” team (has had plenty of offers). I coach her 16U team (she’s an 08 but want to play 16’s as long as possible). Our 16U is a regional/local team. This year I have had a ton of interest from players/families that did a national and they are ready to get back staying local. Anyone else experiencing that? Most say they can get the same experience softball wise playing local. They all agree that the price of national teams combined with the economy the way it is, is just too much money. Just thought I’d get a discussion going about it
Outside of a few locations in the country staying local won’t give those players the same level of competition. The fact of the matter is most parents have no idea what is out there outside of their little region of the country, or if they have been exposed to it, don’t have the ability to tell the difference..

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Especially 14U and under, Was only a matter of time before the added cost of living would change how people are spending their money to do near the same thing they could do locally.
Outside of a few locations in the country staying local won’t give those players the same level of competition. The fact of the matter is most parents have no idea what is out there outside of their little region of the country, or if they have been exposed to it, don’t have the ability to tell the difference..
⬆️
Beyond this 16u+
Adding multi College camps and a few showcases no matter where they are may be necessary.

Jun 8, 2016
That said if the level of local competition is good enough for your end goals then there is no need to travel all over the country 🤷🏽‍♂️

Aug 20, 2017
We are in Mississippi. Had one parent whose team went to Colorado tell me that even if UCLA offered they weren’t going lol! The competition here is pretty good at showcase events. Usually have national teams at those and we can compete fairly well with them (they have deeper pitching and deeper lineup). Many national teams have created “regional” teams with their name. We stack up well with those teams. Have won our fair share vs them.

Jun 8, 2016
We are in Mississippi. Had one parent whose team went to Colorado tell me that even if UCLA offered they weren’t going lol!
because of cost or other “philosophical” reasons….?

If the local tournaments can draw the right competition and sets of eyeballs for your kid then you are good.

Aug 21, 2008
Showcases are good, school camps are the most bang for buck. It's the loophole in the system that lets them interact with the coach(s) and see if there's a fit.

The benefit to playing with a KNOWN "national team" isn't so much the schedule. Many mediocre teams can play in big time tournaments, most directors will gladly take the entry fee monies. The difference is the known teams play on the main fields in front of the most coaches. Iowa Premier plays on the main field at the top tournaments. Iowa "fury" (or insert any name) plays on field #20 on the back side of the park. If you're lucky enough to play at the main park.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Showcases are good, school camps are the most bang for buck. It's the loophole in the system that lets them interact with the coach(s) and see if there's a fit.

The benefit to playing with a KNOWN "national team" isn't so much the schedule. Many mediocre teams can play in big time tournaments, most directors will gladly take the entry fee monies. The difference is the known teams play on the main fields in front of the most coaches. Iowa Premier plays on the main field at the top tournaments. Iowa "fury" (or insert any name) plays on field #20 on the back side of the park. If you're lucky enough to play at the main park.
Ouch! The truth can hurt.

May 27, 2022
As far as proximity:
- I read a quote from ISU head WBB coach that even at their level, most girls don't want to be more than a few hours from home
- My daughter's first college was an 8 hour drive - with work and other kid's responsibilities, we got to 2 of her games.
- Now she is 3 hours away and we make it to most of her games.

As far as national teams:
- It isn't that you can't find good competitive teams in most regions, but those team aren't playing local tournaments
- You won't challenge yourself against the best unless you get to one of those tournaments

As far as exposure
- Unless you can be sure that 1 or more coaches are there TO SEE YOU PLAY, it is A LOT of expense for the little benefit.
- The best way to garner interest is camps, camps, and more camps
- If a coach is truly interested, you they can see you at good regional tournaments

I am guessing that a lot of players and their parents bought into the idea that travelling nationally would get them college coaches calling or liked the ego trip of being on a 'national' team. But now realize that their DD isn't P5/D1 material 'cuz there is a lot of great players out there. And, now they can't or don't want the added expenses of travelling nationally. OR, they've been offered from the school they want and don't need more national exposure/expenses.

Apr 27, 2020
What you describe is happening all over the country with many teams where parents are rethinking their disposable income and ROI with travel ball.

We played a 6 hour radius around Cincinnati at 16/18U and there was plenty of colleges that the ladies could contact to get interest in them that came from about a 12 hour radius.
Heck depending on the schools that were interested in them I know of DIII and JC coaches that even attended High School games and Travel team practices to recruit players.

Most ladies are not going to a major DI program. Most of those that are, are already committed by 16. I would say 90% of players on teams that travel the country or play a "national schedule" like the Beverly Bandits, Mustangs, LLS are already committed by 16 so there is no real showcasing from them.

One bright spot is, there are so many options available for ladies to play post secondary that there really is no need to travel across the country to play unless families choose to play vs other committed athletes or, compete for a national championship and one can still do that in most areas of the country within a 4 to 6 hour drive playing on a local team or team within an hour or so drive.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812