Launch position characteristics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shoulder tilt down, back side tall, front pinched. Shoulders around 30 degrees closed. Pelvis/hip pointing upwards, lifted (front shoulder and hip pinched together).
The rearward column doing the work.

Back forearm level with the ground, barrel tipped forward. Front foot is still off the ground, toe touch also works.

As the swing is launched the shoulder tilt is reversed and the backside is pinched and the front becomes tall.

Weight is back at launch, in this case the toes haven’t even touched down.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
To work on this it helps to get the player to feel like they can swing from their stance. Most players couldn’t show you their launch position. This will help them learn it.

Use the checkpoints Shawn mentions. On a tee, Tell them to stretch (load) until they feel like they can swing. May want to widen Feet some. Give them the “Go” command once they feel this position. Tell them to burst, tilt, launch backwards (all help with quickness). No foot up or stride yet. Focus on them feeling the launch position and being able to get there own their own. Move on to side toss and front toss doing the same thing.

Next have them work on picking the front foot up and getting to their launch position. Do it dry, then tees, side/front toss.

For timing have them work on getting the foot up and to their launch position BEFORE pitch release. They will be super early. Now you can teach them to let the ball get deep. Focus on hitting missiles over the second baseman’s head (helps path and feel of allowing ball to travel).

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Why do we emphasize getting deep when we should be emphasizing same place? Lagging the barrel is overrated unless you’re a lumberjack.

Oct 25, 2009
When I’m teaching barrel lag I’m wanting the batter to hit the face (mouth of that face) of the ball with a rising line drive bat angle.

To me bat lag is the result of the hands being the last move.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When I’m teaching barrel lag I’m wanting the batter to hit the face (mouth of that face) of the ball with a rising line drive bat angle.

To me bat lag is the result of the hands being the last move.

Last move? The hands are the first move. Everything is supporting the hands.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Let’s start w this..

We don’t want lag per se, when we get rid of lag we are controlling when and where we release the barrel. Speed is the direct result of NOT retarding lag.. OR we create speed by releasing the barrel against our hand speed.. not lagging the barrel.

I think the video above puts all the ‘turn’ folks to bed.. sweet dreams

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06