Launch position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
AJ, was getting stuck with long and slow and had no chance at pitches up/in the zone.

46WEbKQ.gif

AJ, showing the changes/adjustments he made to have a chance at up/in (free hands).

RJ5zhlq.gif

Throw it in a direction .. that looks like what TM likes but better. No around. Just direct.

Reactions: TDS
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
1. Based on my marks, that's not even close. (however... it's possible I marked the elbow wrong, it's hard to tell in that image)

2. Griffey, you may be correct, hands may be slightly behind, it's hard to tell (I could not find a game swing from the side where I can see his feet - to check for position at toe touch)
View attachment 28733

Ohtani, hands not behind (this is a side angle where you can tell what he's doing)
View attachment 28734

Here's Matt Olson, hands not behind (who is Tim Olsen?)
View attachment 28735

PS, also Ronald Acuna has hands basically even with the back elbow. Even he could use better leverage.

Most MLB hitters do not have absolutely perfect leverage.

If you start at toe touch with the hands behind the elbow, you have to make a major correction mid swing (which Griffey and Acuna do). Youth hitters never do this - it's a fatal flaw that stops them from advancing.

That’s not Ohtani’s launch position. Not even close. My pic was from his monster year, 2021. That is his launch launch position, not the pic you posted. I like how you didn’t draw a line on his elbow from that angle.

Shoulders and hips closed 22.5. Hand’s no where near the back shoulder or arm pit. Hands get in line with the front shoulder.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That’s not Ohtani’s launch position. Not even close. My pic was from his monster year, 2021. That is his launch launch position, not the pic you posted. I like how you didn’t draw a line on his elbow from that angle.

Shoulders and hips closed 22.5. Hand’s no where near the back shoulder or arm pit. Hands get in line with the front shoulder.

I like Mookie's swing much more than Otanhi's. Otanhi's swing can be down right ugly. He is super strong (he is a large man) and has unbelievable eye/hand coordination and he competes. I love that MLB Channel, Antonelli and Teacherman all have videos explaining how good his swing is. As an Angel's fan, I believe he is a guesser and guesses right a lot of the times. He can look pretty silly at times too. His swing is so dynamic his swing can look different from pitch to pitch. He is an artist more than a machine. Don't get me wrong, I like him and he is a legitimate super star but I am very surprised how good he is at hitting. I thought he would be a PO sooner than later. I was wrong.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

You realize that your pic is not directly from the side, right? Please post any pic from the side. Any year.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Hand’s no where near the back shoulder or arm pit. Hands get in line with the front shoulder.

Yes, that one's crazy. That looks like a typical Japanese hitter swing.

In this swing below he does something really crazy. He gets to toe touch and his hands are ahead of his back elbow, as optimal, and as every other hitter.
ohtani-0.00-0.00.jpg

Then, he goes nuts and goes full bat drag and gets his hands behind the back elbow. I've never seen any other hitter push their hands back like this after toe touch. (I don't know why the words are blacked out - it should read hands behind the back elbow). (maybe this was a change up, and he was waiting, I don't know)
ohtani behind-0.00.jpg

Of course, then he must push his hands very close to the armpit to recover. So here he is at hip slot where he looks like every other hitter with the hands near the armpit and just ahead of the back elbow - now the bicep (close to the torso) replaces the hands, and he can push the hands at the ball.
ohtani hip slot.jpg

Of course he could have bypassed the crazy bat drag phase and had an even better swing. (unless this is only what he does on mis-timed off-speed pitches)

[from 3 weeks ago - a home run]

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
His swing, hands arms create a strong pivot point. The barrel gets turned around that pivot point. I call that a trapped top hand, the position. Trapped from going forward and instead turns, hands stay back. It’s not really trapped, it’s just the geometry and hand usage. It’s been said almost like an oar lock.

IMG_5700.jpeg

As the great Gehrig said keep your hands back and ready to hit.

Kelly Ketchum,

IMG_5701.jpeg

Most of Ohtani’s weird stuff happens after launch.

My feeling is when the back elbow is pointing too far rearward, the hands roll a little. Back elbow slots a little.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles