Shoulder position at release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I screwed up the post and couldn't comment, but I was wondering the same thing. I was also curious about the exaggerated shoulder move.
I mean, it's not an outrageous claim. They're going on 4 straight National championships this year, hard to dispute their winning streak(s), and she's been the pitching coach on some of the best teams in the women's game history. None of those things are in dispute. I just wondered what metric they used to make the claim.

Jul 19, 2021
I mean, it's not an outrageous claim. They're going on 4 straight National championships this year, hard to dispute their winning streak(s), and she's been the pitching coach on some of the best teams in the women's game history. None of those things are in dispute. I just wondered what metric they used to make the claim.
The claim is being made by the OU Softball program. It's their account. It's akin to Joe's Burgers saying they make the best burger in Omaha. What else they gonna say! Lol....

Aug 21, 2008
The claim is being made by the OU Softball program. It's their account. It's akin to Joe's Burgers saying they make the best burger in Omaha. What else they gonna say! Lol....
You're probably right about the OU thing. I don't blame them for hyping their program and why wouldn't they? When I get a new student, I always ask what their ambition is for the game and if they want to play in college. I'd say about 10% say they don't want to play in college, for various reasons. Another 10% say they wanna play in college but the major they wanna do isn't a "softball friendly" major. For example, the majority of colleges don't want players to have nursing as their major. They miss too many practices and team events due to labs, shadowing at hospitals, etc. So a lot of schools flat out say no to some majors. But of the kids who say they do wanna play, an overwhelming majority say they wanna play for Oklahoma. While I understand that desire, I always give them another way of thinking about it and hope that seed I planted grows into a new way of thinking about it all. All of that said, it's hard to beat the fact OU is on tv more than anyone and has been the talk of the sport for the last 8 or so years. So it's an understandable goal to want to be part of that. No question.

And for the record, everyone knows the best burger in Omaha is Stella's in Bellevue, not Joe's Burgers. I'm not even sure that one is a matter of opinion. lol

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...And for the record, everyone knows the best burger in Omaha is Stella's in Bellevue, not Joe's Burgers. I'm not even sure that one is a matter of opinion. lol
Thanks for the recommendation. Whenever I make it down to Omaha, I always try to make a Runza stop because there almost aren't any outside of Nebraska. Just like the guy in Omaha I talked to said he stops at White Castle when he comes up to Minneapolis since they aren't in Omaha.

Time to step up my game.

Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation. Whenever I make it down to Omaha, I always try to make a Runza stop because there almost aren't any outside of Nebraska. Just like the guy in Omaha I talked to said he stops at White Castle when he comes up to Minneapolis since they aren't in Omaha.

Time to step up my game.
I've been here 4.5 years, I still haven't been to Runza. I'm an extremely extremely picky eater. I can't do mulitple textures in my mouth. I have to eat one thing at a time, and NO my food cannot touch. Believe me, it's a real joy to have me over for dinner!! Next time you come to the big O, maybe we can meet for a Stella's burger. And their fresh cut fries, or onion rings which are supposed to be the best in town too.

I'm sure all this info is really helping the OP with his shoulder position question. Sorry OP.

Mar 29, 2023
I was watching a pitcher in a 10U tournament this weekend, and she was absolutely slinging the heck out of her shoulder at release where it finished significantly ahead of the rest of her body. She was getting good velocity and her team was #1 seed in the top bracket. It almost looked like she was getting a bit of a curve on it from it (I don't know many 10U pitchers that intentionally throw a curve nor has DD progressed beyond FB/CU at this point, so maybe it was actually a curve ball motion).

I've seen a few college pitchers really get their shoulder into it but never anything like that regardless, and none of the pitching instructors DD has had have ever put that much emphasis on shoulder drive.

My DD doesn't really finish hard with her shoulder, but is that a good or bad thing?

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's difficult to draw conclusions from 10U. I have seen pitchers that age, with HE mechanics, have success because they are big, strong and good athletes, and they throw relatively fast with decent control. But as they age they can't keep up with the IR pitchers.

It's not so much the degree of shoulder rotation into release as it is the timing of the rotation. Turn the shoulders too early and you limit internal rotation of the arm.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's difficult to draw conclusions from 10U. I have seen pitchers that age, with HE mechanics, have success because they are big, strong and good athletes, and they throw relatively fast with decent control. But as they age they can't keep up with the IR pitchers.

It's not so much the degree of shoulder rotation into release as it is the timing of the rotation. Turn the shoulders too early and you limit internal rotation of the arm.
IMHO, the easiest way for a pitcher to throw 50MPH is HE mechanics and muscling the ball.

HE won't get you to the promised land of 60+ MPH.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles