Interesting Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
You are going to find TIP more common in outfielders than infielders. It gives the feeling of a deeper pocket. Most Infielders, including myself, like to feel the ball when catching more in the palm than the pocket to assist in quicker transfers. I don’t want the deeper pocket feel when making a quick transfer. My 10 yo DD wears hers TIP because it’s easier for her to close.0286107C-99C1-4D3C-AD04-99D60F660FC0.jpeg

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
It seems to me that a lot of people misunderstood my OP or they just didn't read it. I'm not talking about index finger out of the glove like Baylee Klingler in this photo.

I'm talking about having the pinky and ring finger together in the pinky slot, this is certainly not common in MLB, at least not for infielders, I have seen it used by pitchers but that's about it.

I have recommended this finger alignment to players with new gloves for the extra leverage in gives when you close it, or to 1st basemen or catchers to help prevent palm bruising.

TIP is extremely common in MLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You are going to find TIP more common in outfielders than infielders. It gives the feeling of a deeper pocket. Most Infielders, including myself, like to feel the ball when catching more in the palm than the pocket to assist in quicker transfers. I don’t want the deeper pocket feel when making a quick transfer. My 10 yo DD wears hers TIP because it’s easier for her to close.View attachment 22224
I can’t disagree with a thing you said, but there’s more MLB infielders going TIP than you think, a lot!

Jun 8, 2016
I can’t disagree with a thing you said, but there’s more MLB infielders going TIP than you think, a lot!
Changing when they become a pro or somebody showing them it when they were 10 and then just wearing it that way...big difference ?

Oct 26, 2019
You are probably right - I wonder if they are starting younger because it makes it easier to close the glove and then just never changing? My DD has tried it traditional and says it feels weird since she is so used to TIP. I am the opposite. I see the benefit to wearing a glove TIP, but if you hit a grounder at me and my life is on the line to field it…I am going traditional with pointer finger out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86