Interesting Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
OK guys, I'll start paying more attention to MLB infielders, but I know that Lindor where's his traditional, being a Mets fan he was the first one I looked at. Peter Alonzo is also traditional.

20210526_092028.png

Looks like he has his middle finger(and ring and pinky) shifted but not his index finger.

May 23, 2015
Right but I honestly don't see how fast fingers in the glove hand expedite the deflection that should be taking place when squaring up a GB (or when turning a DP and receiving a relay throw). That said I will freely admit I never wore it palm out like that so I haven't felt the difference. Maybe that was the difference between just being a college IF and playing SS for the Red Sox? ;)
Using tips only it allows the glove to close faster and most importantly open faster and wider. It also requires less effort. Sounds silly, but 1/10th of a second makes a major league difference

Seems like every solo MLB fielding video has some self appointed "guru" analysis voice over....

Jun 8, 2016
Using tips only it allows the glove to close faster and most importantly open faster and wider. It also requires less effort. Sounds silly, but 1/10th of a second makes a major league difference

Seems like every solo MLB fielding video has some self appointed "guru" analysis voice over....
Ok I can see that but that doesn't answer my question about deflection where you never actually close the glove.

Jun 8, 2016
For example (extreme example of course...)

I guess maybe I misinterpreted your fast fingers comment to be tied to your later comment about deflection when instead you were talking about other scenarios where you actually close the glove??

May 23, 2015
Ok I can see that but that doesn't answer my question about deflection where you never actually close the glove.
It does. When your in the field and you get your prep steps your glove should be on a neutral position. Your brain is focused on the read. The ground ball may be a worm burner, long hop, short hop, in between hop. The faster and more effortless your hand can make a correction the better read your brain is going to make.

On a routine you want your glove to be low and wide. Fingertips allow that glove to be wide and conform seamlessly to the heel of your hand

Jun 8, 2016
It does. When your in the field and you get your prep steps your glove should be on a neutral position. Your brain is focused on the read. The ground ball may be a worm burner, long hop, short hop, in between hop. The faster and more effortless your hand can make a correction the better read your brain is going to make.

On a routine you want your glove to be low and wide. Fingertips allow that glove to be wide and conform seamlessly to the heel of your hand
Fair enough..I agree with everything you say regarding what your glove should be doing so I guess it really is just a matter of me believing that wearing it palm out/TIP will help with that :)

May 23, 2015
Fair enough..I agree with everything you say regarding what your glove should be doing so I guess it really is just a matter of me believing that wearing it palm out/TIP will help with that :)
Is TIP two in the pinky slot? Sorry I'm not hip on the lingo. Ive never heard it called that.

It opens the pocket of the glove and hands naturally grip easier and stronger when your fingers are together. They work better with a friend. Thats the way it was explained to me ages ago. You don't walk down the street with your fingers splayed out.

If I toss you a bat you will naturally grab it with your 4 fingers together

I found a video without voice over just for you :LOL: I have a video of Vizquel doing the same thing but it has voice over ;)
Everybody that has a fricking internet is a guru. I'm against government regulation on anything, but I were president I would shut them all down

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86