Interesting Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I suppose if you jam your whole hand into the glove then yes, it may be a strange feel. If you wear a glove in the same manner as a higher level player, then your hand is not fully jammed into the glove (e.g. your lower third of your palm is out of the glove) then shifting your fingers gives you more control of the glove with increased wrist hinge flexibility (plus other advantages).

What the OP described is actually very common in any higher level player (baseball anyway).

The difference I feel is that I have more control over the pinky slot on the glove. I'm closing thumb to pinky, but I have zero control over the pocket, which is where the ball actually will end up. I want that thumb/index finger control to secure the ball in the pocket (or webbing).

It might give you more control of the glove (though I dispute this), but it gives you significantly less control over the ball. I want to control the ball.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
The difference I feel is that I have more control over the pinky slot on the glove. I'm closing thumb to pinky, but I have zero control over the pocket, which is where the ball actually will end up. I want that thumb/index finger control to secure the ball in the pocket (or webbing).

It might give you more control of the glove (though I dispute this), but it gives you significantly less control over the ball. I want to control the ball.

Maybe your glove is too big or the hand stall is too big.

The OP is talking about SS. Why would ball control to secure the ball in teh pocket be a priority? Most good infielders wouldn't even field the ball deep in the pocket (or in the pocket at all).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The ole traditional vs. TIP grip debate!

Bottom line…..both are fine, no wrong or right answer here, all personal preference!

Take me for example, old people tend to do old school stuff they’ve been doing for years, I prefer traditional with index finger out. That’s why I love the Rawlings “NP” pattern with its single break heel. I have two gloves here that are broken in TIP, and when I use them, I love that grip and ask myself why I don’t do it with every glove? Answer…..I don’t have an answer?

If I were starting over, just a kid growing up in this game or baseball, I feel pretty sure I’d start out using a glove TIP these days!

@ArmWhip, I could be way off here, but I’d be willing to bet Sis Bates had an influence early on as far as this glove grip, maybe a Dad or a older brother who may have played some high level ball? Maybe she went to a camp early on and a college coach suggested this grip? Maybe she had an idol she looked up to who wore her glove that way?

Either way, she’d be the same damn great SS if she wore her glove traditional!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86