There’s No Good Reason to Squeeze the Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Before I start I want to say that this is not your typical rant about how umpires are terrible and shouldn’t be allowed to walk free with the rest of us. To the contrary, I have tremendous respect for umpires because I know it’s a tough and often thankless job, and that nearly all umpires […]

More...

Mar 29, 2023
I wonder if you went to a random softball tournament venue and polled spectators, what percentage would be able to accurate say the strike zone is to the arm pits? How about coaches? Umpires? Players?

🤔

May 29, 2015
There is a thread on here where I went into a detailed description of "the strike zone." @earlg3 you would get a variety of answers because there actually are a variety of strike zones. While @Ken Krause states that USA Softball (then ASA) was "the basis of all rulebooks" that is not accurate. Sorry, I know USA Softball likes to preen around as if they are the softball god.

While one major code likes to just steal rules piecemeal (not saying who, but that picture of a red shirt sure is ugly), the deviate devil is in the deviant details. See that previous thread for those details on the numerous different strike zones (which most umpires do not bother to brush up on).

To the point of the article though, you missed a lot, Ken. (Maybe you should join us as an umpire? (No, that was not the usual frustrated cry of exasperation at an ignorant fan, but a self-referential joke about missing calls.)

Why any umpire might call a "shoebox" strike zone can come back to many different reasons.

Let's start with the old adage "you are expected to be perfect on day one and to improve from there." Get into the psyche of a rookie umpire and you might discover this (right or wrong): strikes are more impactful than balls. Is that because you get four balls and only three strikes? Is it because of a perception of a strike being a "negative" and a ball feeling more "neutral?" Not sure, but the inclination (which we try to train out) is to "do less harm." Hey, we aren't doctors.
Another reason to call a "shoebox" zone is because an umpire regularly works a higher level and is doing you a favor by stepping down to call your game. When you spend significant time and mental energy training yourself to see a strike in a certain manner, it is not easy to change that training. I will admit I fall victim to this one. I tell myself "call a bigger zone" at lower levels, but it is hard to override the instinct you have trained. I have heard many umpires say, "I can't call that zone because it will mess me up for my [highest level they call] games."

I could also point out that coaches and fans are often just plain wrong on their perception of the strike zone. There is a reason we don't call it from the bleachers (much safer behind the chain link) or your dugout (that bucket looks more comfortable than 300+ squats).

And sometimes umpires are just plain wrong. We are not professionals. Umpiring is an avocation. The vast majority of umpires do not seek out opportunities to improve (because we have to do that on our own time and dime), are not required to do this, and in fact are incentivized NOT to because of the number of games that people insist need to be played. Hitting a fastball or a curveball is often described as one of the most difficult tasks in sports. I would say calling that pitch is even tougher. You are holding in your mind an imaginary dodecahedron that moves up and down on every pitch (not just every batter) and floats in the air a good six feet away from you, on the other side of the guy/gal in front of you. Now, you have fractions of a second to decide if a sphere that is less than 4 inches in diameter and is traveling straight at you at 60 - 90 mph touches that dodecahedron AS one person swings a bat and it and another person moves around trying to catch it. Don't blink. Don't flinch. Don't get distracted. Now do that 300+ times in a few hours. Don't get too hot. Don't listen to them. Get it perfect.

Get it perfect. Now do better.

Oct 26, 2019
I umpires would do well to remember they are Human and 50/50 calls are going to be just that - 50/50. Just keep the close ones balanced between teams and everyone will be happy…or everyone will be upset! Either way balance is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86