Interesting Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
For me personally changing finger placement substantially alters the feel of the glove. I have done it when catching one of my faster pitchers or when I don't feel like getting my hand stung but not in any other situation.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
For me personally changing finger placement substantially alters the feel of the glove. I have done it when catching one of my faster pitchers or when I don't feel like getting my hand stung but not in any other situation.

I find it also makes it significantly more difficult to close the glove properly.

Think about trying to catch something barehanded with your ring/pinky fingers taped together. I refuse to believe people would find that easier than actually being able to use all the fingers independently.

I know a lot of people swear by it, and if it works for them, great, but it gets a big ol' nope from me.

May 23, 2015
I find it also makes it significantly more difficult to close the glove properly.

Think about trying to catch something barehanded with your ring/pinky fingers taped together. I refuse to believe people would find that easier than actually being able to use all the fingers independently.

I know a lot of people swear by it, and if it works for them, great, but it gets a big ol' nope from me.
Funny every 100 MPH baseball and 70 MPH softball is caught that way.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I refuse to believe people would find that easier than actually being able to use all the fingers independently.

Thats an interesting comment
Use fingers independently?

I find that my entire hand works the glove.

Apr 26, 2019
The woman who will take over for the Huskies at SS next year (so I'm led to believe), Baylee Klingler, also appears to wear her glove this way.

I've found a pretty good image of it. That said, I've no desire for Getty to come after me for copyright infringement for posting it here.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia

I suppose if you jam your whole hand into the glove then yes, it may be a strange feel. If you wear a glove in the same manner as a higher level player, then your hand is not fully jammed into the glove (e.g. your lower third of your palm is out of the glove) then shifting your fingers gives you more control of the glove with increased wrist hinge flexibility (plus other advantages).

What the OP described is actually very common in any higher level player (baseball anyway).

May 23, 2015
When wearing a glove to properly catch a ball you do it with your thumb and ring finger. The index and middle finger are along for the ride. Your glove should close thumb to ring finger. I can spot it from a mile away

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86