How to stop walk-athon in 10u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2024
Pack up your stuff and move to Orange County in SoCal. There are plenty of cities that have very competitive 10u and 12u programs. They don't turn people away but have pitchers that practice, compete and throw strikes. 10u All-star games are competitive and very watchable.
Or you could come up here to Southern Maine where I assistant coach. The 10u Rec League has lots of acceptable teams with decent pitching. There's enough good pitching to absorb the walkathon innings created by the kids who are just learning or even trying pitching for the first time. Games are fun and parents enjoy themselves. We don't have coaches pitch at all. Umpires do a good job of expanding or contracting the strike zone to match the pitchers/batters ability. It might not be fair, but it works.

I feel like the idea of adjusting to the kids skill level is very important at this age. Unfortunately, its also takes alot of effort. If a kid is a good hitter or pitcher, push their limits by shifting the strike zone, telling them that they have to throw a change-up at least once per batter, slap a hit. On the other hand, a player who is less experienced can get a wider strike zone (pitcher) smaller strike zone (batter), coach tells batter that they have to swing at at least one or two pitches per at bat regardless. To keep girls from becoming frustrated with the inconsistentcy, talk to them about it before each game.

Another thing that I thought of this past season and will try this next season is to add "in-team" competitions. My idea is this - Before the game, I'll split my team into two groups (A and B). Then, throughout the game, points will be awarded to each group as members of that group get hits, K's, fielded balls, swings at good pitches, any fundamentals, etc. The group with the most points at the end of the game wins. The hope is to add motivation and competition to motivate good play. To keep the girls from focusing on it more than the game, the points will be secret until the end of the game. Otherwise, I could see it becoming a distraction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831