How to Prevent the Extra Base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2022
In the sanction we deal with u11, a runner on 3B cannot advance to home on a throw by the catcher. Almost invariably, if there's a runner on 3B and 1B is not occupied, a walk will see the batter simply round first and continue to second. It takes an accurate throw by P2 and a good tag to prevent this. At u11, both of those things happening on the same play is somewhat rare.

Considering the runner at 3B cannot advance,even on overthrow, do you have P2 simply throw straight to 2B to prevent the extra base with the risk that P2 could over throw 2B and give the base to the runner anyway? Do you wait to see if the runner is going to try to advance, then make the throw knowing by that point the runner is probably going to be safe anyway since there's few catchers that can throw accurately enough the 65+ feet to 2B.

Another option is a quick throw back to P1, then if runner advances P1 throws a shorter distance to 2B?

Any other options to prevent the extra base? It's a real thorn in my side.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
It sounds like local 10u rules that don't allow stealing home. Until around 2006, USA softball 10u didn't have DTS, stealing home, stealing more than one base on a pitch, and not advancing to second on a walk.

The standard advice is to return the ball to the pitcher immediately. I would have the second baseman get in position halfway between 1st and 2nd, and if the pitcher can throw accurately, fire the ball to the 2B if the batter-runner starts heading towards 2B. Have the right fielder and center fielder backing up the throw.

If the runner at 3B takes leads, I would practice having the pitcher throw the ball to 3B if the runner isn't quickly returning to 3B. Have your left fielder ready to back up that throw as well because some sanctions may say if the pick-off attempt goes out of play, the runner at 3B gets home.

You also need to evaluate the arm and accuracy of your catcher. Odds are in a 1st and 3rd situation, the runner at 1B will be at 2nd anyways after a pitch or two to the next batter.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-18 221559.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-18 221559.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 20
May 13, 2023
In the sanction we deal with u11, a runner on 3B cannot advance to home on a throw by the catcher. Almost invariably, if there's a runner on 3B and 1B is not occupied, a walk will see the batter simply round first and continue to second. It takes an accurate throw by P2 and a good tag to prevent this. At u11, both of those things happening on the same play is somewhat rare.

Considering the runner at 3B cannot advance,even on overthrow, do you have P2 simply throw straight to 2B to prevent the extra base with the risk that P2 could over throw 2B and give the base to the runner anyway? Do you wait to see if the runner is going to try to advance, then make the throw knowing by that point the runner is probably going to be safe anyway since there's few catchers that can throw accurately enough the 65+ feet to 2B.

Another option is a quick throw back to P1, then if runner advances P1 throws a shorter distance to 2B?

Any other options to prevent the extra base? It's a real thorn in my side.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
Agree with @Rolling Hard comment of throw directly to First.

Considering longer throw creating errors on the field. Perhaps consider having the catcher run up the line to first base a little closer and then make a more accurate shorter throw to the first baseperson.

Or bring the second baseperson into the Baseline and throw there.

* practice in practice!

* I do not care for catchers running with the ball when a throw can just be made. But considering lesser skill sets. Make adjustments when needed.

Jun 18, 2023
You also need to evaluate the arm and accuracy of your catcher. Odds are in a 1st and 3rd situation, the runner at 1B will be at 2nd anyways after a pitch or two to the next batter.

this seems like the pertinent point. We're really just talking about stealing right? The runner on third thing is just to encourage the catcher to actually throw it, because you NEVER would at that level without the safety net. The whole point seems to be to teach the catcher/defense to be able to make that throw and get that out, because stealing is part of the game and you need to learn to defend against it.

You can come up with complicated things, but what it boils down to is reps, make that throw, apply that tag. Keep doing it.

In our 10u league you're only allowed a steal from second to third, no advancing on overthrow. You're only allowed to do this 3 times an inning though. Same concept, practice the throwing. But the ball is also dead back to the pitcher, so there's no delayed stealing stuff. In this situation the walk would just be a walk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles