How cold is too cold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I was just curious because we received an email saying tryouts will be moved to outdoors tomorrow. It will be about 35 degrees out when they start and might reach 40 by the end of the practice. How cold is too cold to safely practice outdoors?

Feb 7, 2014
I don't have a number for you but I do believe that is too cold. I grew up in a 'cold' state (WI) and I think some coaches have a tendency to go overboard with 'toughening' their players. Not sure what you gain ?

Apr 1, 2010
I don't think that's too cold to practice fielding as long as the girls are dressed for it. DD's team has played in those temperatures before, so it's not completely insane to practice in them. (It's hardest on their hands. Try having her wear a pullover hoody over her underarmor and tee shirt. She can put one or two handwarmer packets in the kangaroo hoody pocket and stick her hands in there between drills.)

I get nervous about hitting with expensive composite bats in those temps though. Are they going to bat also? Does she have a metal bat (or an older bat) she could use in place of her game bat?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I don't think that's too cold to practice fielding as long as the girls are dressed for it. (It's hardest on their hands. Try having her wear a hoody over her underarmor and tee shirt. She can put one or two handwarmer packets in the kangaroo hoody pocket and stick her hands in there between drills.) DD's team has played in those temperatures before, so it's not completely insane to practice in them. I get nervous about hitting with expensive composite bats in those temps though. Are they going to bat also? Does she have a metal bat (or an older bat) she could use in place of her game bat?

Yeah, I was thinking the hands would be the worst off. It's been really windy. They will be batting but she has an Easton SCN2B, so I'm not worried about it breaking. I may need to get some hand warmers...I think I'm out. Good idea!

May 17, 2012
We once had a 8:00 Spring tournament game where the temperature was extremely cold and the wind was blowing pretty good. My DD took the mound in the first and threw 8 straight balls. I called time and went to the mound to see what the problem was. My DD said it was so cold she couldn't feel her fingers. I didn't have a good answer (she already had hand warmers) so I told her, "You don't need to feel your fingers to pitch.", and I finished it off with, "Just throw strikes."

She was livid at me with regards to my words of wisdom. As I was walking off the mound I envisioned her throwing the ball at the back of my head. Since she couldn't feel her fingers so I figured I had a 50/50 chance of being hit at that range.

It was a walkfest the first few innings until the sun came out.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
We have to play in tournies at that temp often in the Midwest. Dress appropriately.

Weve played in sleet before. TD would not stop the tourney and my girls weren't about to quit. Youd have to make them leave the field no matter the condition.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I didn't have a good answer (she already had hand warmers) so I told her, "You don't need to feel your fingers to pitch.", and I finished it off with, "Just throw strikes."

She was livid at me with regards to my words of wisdom. As I was walking off the mound I envisioned her throwing the ball at the back of my head. Since she couldn't feel her fingers I figured I had a 50/50 chance of being hit at that range.

I would be willing to bet that my DD would have thrown at my head, if I said that. I would also bet that it would be her fastest and most accurate pitch of the day :)

Oct 10, 2011
We just had two trees fall over almost hitting our house...it's not going to be that bad though. Hopefully it will be blowing in the direction of the outfield fence:)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The Upper Midwest is miserable unless it's Summer and even then, the temperatures can soar the other way also. We've had Spring games played in everything from Sunny and 60 to 27 and snowing with a wind chill factor of -12. Practices are always indoors here until probably the third week of March and even from then on are a hit or miss type deal. Usually, if it's above 50 and sunny, they are outside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle