"Houston, we have a problem!"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Besides my conflicting work schedule, this thread reminds me of why I turned down the offer to announce my daughter's streamed college games. Not that I would belittle the other team, but I might be overly critical of our own. Now that I see the way they've been playing it was a good choice. By now I'd probably have a huge fine from the FCC. :)

Once again, it is about giving back.

Some have the ability to do it. It is a large responsibility. But if you are able, and it helps others around you, especially the same folks who go out of their way to help my DD ... why not.

I make mistakes every day at this. Learn from them, get respect from doing it, but only know one way. Give to others who are actively giving to you,

Oct 18, 2009
If he said it with my dd getting pulled after getting rocked I wouldn't have complained and probably found it hilarious. I hate how in this world everyone is so sensitive and everything has to be PC all the time. I wish people would stop taking themselves so seriously.

Jul 2, 2013
If he said it with my dd getting pulled after getting rocked I wouldn't have complained and probably found it hilarious. I hate how in this world everyone is so sensitive and everything has to be PC all the time. I wish people would stop taking themselves so seriously.

It is just a true story. No complaints. High School softball is a gentile sport, at least it should be. The rules are defined pretty clearly.

It has nothing to do with being Politically Correct.

Oct 18, 2009
It is just a true story. No complaints. High School softball is a gentile sport, at least it should be. The rules are defined pretty clearly.

It has nothing to do with being Politically Correct.

Are you saying it was a clear violation of the rules?

Jul 2, 2013

I am saying that I am past 50 years old. The most important lesson learned is to do your absolute best to live your life with honor, honor others like young lady softball players, and to give back to the people who give to you.

I do not know the rules. That is why I posted this here ... to find out. Let the high school softball community, who are much smarter than I, decide.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

It was unprofessional, IMO. That doesn't mean I disagree with the idea that people could lighten up. But as far as it being professional, I don't think it's even debatable. PA announcer's job is serve the players and spectators, not attempt to entertain them.

Oct 18, 2009
I am saying that I am past 50 years old. The most important lesson learned is to do your absolute best to live your life with honor, honor others like young lady softball players, and to give back to the people who give to you.

I do not know the rules. That is why I posted this here ... to find out. Let the high school softball community, who are much smarter than I, decide.

OK. I guess it sounded to me like you had a problem with what the announcer said.

Even though I personally wouldn't have an issue with it if it was about my dd, that doesn't necessarily mean it was the correct thing to say. I was just remarking how I wish people weren't so sensitive as I can only guess people like yourself were offended by the remarks. I certainly hope the young lady wasn't offended by the comment, but it is likely she may have been since this world now seems to raise kids/adults with a very thin skin, making it in this case, probably not the right thing to say in case it might hurt her feelings.

Oct 18, 2009
It was unprofessional, IMO. That doesn't mean I disagree with the idea that people could lighten up. But as far as it being professional, I don't think it's even debatable. PA announcer's job is serve the players and spectators, not attempt to entertain them.

Yes. I agree. This HS PA announcer definitely wasn't acting like a professional here.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Besides my conflicting work schedule, this thread reminds me of why I turned down the offer to announce my daughter's streamed college games. Not that I would belittle the other team, but I might be overly critical of our own. Now that I see the way they've been playing it was a good choice. By now I'd probably have a huge fine from the FCC. :)

I would be in trouble if I ever left the mic open during the "color commentary" amongst the dad's in the announcers booth!

Jul 2, 2013
Every time I work the Mic, a mistake is made. Being an announcer by someone who is not a trained professional at it is much more difficult than it seems.

The fans in attendance are used to listening to trained announcers on TV, and can be unforgiving to untrained amateurs, like myself, who are just trying to help the team out for free.

Probably just a similar mistake here. All is good.