Abandoning a team mid season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
If she may only have one more year to play ball, why not try to make that last year as fun and memorable for her as possible? If you have reasonable options where you are, I would start guest playing and look to bail as soon as this season is over (or even sooner than that if the dynamics on the team remain the way they are).

May 6, 2015
I would first approach the coach, and be blunt about the drama and that it is making your DD thinking of quitting (dont specify softball or the team, just quitting). a lot depends on his response (and not just what he says to you, what he DOES about the situation). if no significant immediate improvement, move on right there and then.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm generally a "stick out your commitment" type person, so if the issue was just that the team sucks, I'd encourage her to stick it out until August. Maybe pick up with better teams during your team's weekends off. But if my kid is being bullied, then all bets are off. I agree with the above advice re: talking to HC about the toxic environment and if it doesn't improve within a tournament (or two, tops), I'd start the process of looking elsewhere. But don't quit until you have something else in the hopper.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm generally a "stick out your commitment" type person, so if the issue was just that the team sucks, I'd encourage her to stick it out until August. Maybe pick up with better teams during your team's weekends off. But if my kid is being bullied, then all bets are off. I agree with the above advice re: talking to HC about the toxic environment and if it doesn't improve within a tournament (or two, tops), I'd start the process of looking elsewhere. But don't quit until you have something else in the hopper.
When the bully is the coach's kid 9 out of 10 times saying something to him/her isn't going to do a thing since more than likely they are fully aware that is has been going on and have chosen to ignore it..I agree that the OP should try to speak to him but I wouldn't expect much..

Nov 13, 2020
Leave. All the previous folks have stated it. It’s not just one thing that needs ‘improvement’ .. it’s multiple things. Sticking it out sounds like it’s hurting your DD in the long run and killing her spirit to want to play.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I've read a couple of replies, but my opinion is this...

If the team is incapable of remaining drama free and is toxic to your DD, leave. Sounds like a bad place to work hard and have fun.

And yes, I'm very much a learn from adversity and stick things out kind of person. As said before in the thread, once there is bullying all bets are off. Get out of dodge with a simple "thanks" then mutter "for nothing you aholes" TO YOURSELF!!

Oct 10, 2018
My heart was aching reading your post. Life is too short to live in such misery. Go. Go now. See if you can't find a team that needs a mid-season addition and/or put her name out with the local coaches as available to guest.

Mar 6, 2016
DD was pitching game 2, and her assigned catcher wouldn't warm up with her (despite being asked) until the ump gave the 5-minute warning.

How is this allowed or not taken care of by the coaches on the team? 🤬 Since when does the player/catcher get the decision or choice to warm up the pitchers? Why is the coach allowing the catcher to do this or slack off? Coaches tell the players/catchers when to warm up the pitchers and they do it. Period. I can't even imagine this happening on a team I coached or if my DD (a catcher) ever got caught doing this. That player would be GONE from my team if I found out or see it happen. Coaches don't or shouldn't "ask" players to do anything as it relates to pre-game warm ups or in game situations. They do it or they don't play or are gone.

But, to your original thoughts and question... Yep, leave. it sucks that you have to and people view leaving a team before the end differently. But, in the end, do what's best for your daughter if the situation is toxic and unhealthy to her love of the game. Life's too short...and our DD's softball "shelf life" is even shorter. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802