HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't really use any of the words you used in this post. However, all of the things that I look for in a swing are present in the swing below. I'm guessing, but please correct me if I'm wrong, that most of the things you are looking for are in this swing as well. The fact that we both appreciate the same swing means that there must be some similarities. Sorry to break it to you...

m8ftpzf.gif

Are these the same?

1653351241969.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Only?

Maybe 2 legs. Every HLP hitter I’ve seen uses 2 legs. A big change. That’s actually when they gained a little leverage. pun intended. But the other stuff as seen through video is very different. TTB behind. Do you see Bustos doing that as a directional thing or a speed thing? How about the torso tilt? Reactional? Actionable?
Our definitions of one-legged differ from each other... IMO Bustos is one-legged.

As far as torso tilt.... that's where you lose me. I have been posting here for nearly 9 years and have never promoted torso tilt. Go ahead and point me to a post where I do. I'll wait...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The video doesn't match your words.

What part Eric ?

What's the difference between abaf and shift and swing ?

knzdEtX.gif

How about these two ? Looks like the shift has been completed around the same time correct ?

8a0mbNa.gif

Looks to me like the shift is out of the way before the swing occurs.

XHSjeFP.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Our definitions of one-legged differ from each other... IMO Bustos is one-legged.

As far as torso tilt.... that's where you lose me. I have been posting here for nearly 9 years and have never promoted torso tilt. Go ahead and point me to a post where I do. I'll wait...

Unless you’re are a HLPer? Why are you saying you’re involved w their terms or ‘positions’. The original question was ; these terms used by both sides are they achieved the same way? They’re not. What say you?

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unless you’re are a HLPer? Why are you saying you’re involved w their terms or ‘positions’. The original question was ; these terms used by both sides are the achieved the same way? They’re not. What say you?
You lost me again. Where did I say I was involved with anyone? I posted a gif of Bonds stating that what I look for is present in his swing. Are you saying you dont like Bonds' swing?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
No.

You must have a short memory. I have been on record numerous times stating that I do not follow Rich. That said, based on his age, the swing isn't bad. I have seen much worse.

Whats the thread about? You and Eric agreed that the terms/mechanics all lead to the same thing. They do not.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You lost me again. Where did I say I was involved with anyone? I posted a gif of Bonds stating that what I look for is present in his swing. Are you saying you dont like Bonds' swing?

If you would like to discuss how they get to and through their ‘positions’; that would be a better management of time. Bc they’re different. Very different.

Oct 2, 2017
If you would like to discuss how they get to and through their ‘positions’; that would be a better management of time. Bc they’re different. Very different.
What he stated was that the ideas and concepts of either pattern are not as far apart as people make them out to be. And the end goal of what people consider as their ideal swing are very close to the same.

edit: for example

Both do not want a player shift across the pelvis
Both do not want shoulders flying out
Both do not want to compromise the rear hip relationship
Both want good hand and barrel path
Both want the barrel to get to the ball quickly
Both want to allow hitter to have good timing
Both want adjustability
Both want balance
Both want the hands to be active

I'm sure others can add more

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whats the thread about? You and Eric agreed that the terms/mechanics all lead to the same thing. They do not.
I wasnt paying attention to the thread itself because it's the same stuff that has been discussed for years. I commented on a post that Eric made.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors