HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you would like to discuss how they get to and through their ‘positions’; that would be a better management of time. Bc they’re different. Very different.
If you are interested in debating HLP you should probably speak with Rich directly. My understanding is that he is active on twitter. I just did a twitter search and found his account in seconds. I'm sure you could do the same.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What he stated was that the ideas and concepts of either pattern are not as far apart as people make them out to be. And the end goal of what people consider as their ideal swing are very close to the same.

edit: for example

Both do not want a player shift across the pelvis
Both do not want shoulders flying out
Both do not want to compromise the rear hip relationship
Both want good hand and barrel path
Both want the barrel to get to the ball quickly
Both want to allow hitter to have good timing
Both want adjustability
Both want balance
Both want the hands to be active

I'm sure others can add more

I mean. Stating the obvious right? that has nothing to do w ‘how’ to get there. Right? That’s what this thread is about. The differences.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you are interested in debating HLP you should probably speak with Rich directly. My understanding is that he is active on twitter. I just did a twitter search and found his account in seconds. I'm sure you could do the same.

No I was asking about how you think they get there?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
High level movement pattern using the obliques while swinging "down to"

IHNUHYI.gif

9juNEXX.gif

HLP using the back to assist in turning the barrel along with lateral tilt.

36n62S3.gif

cR6MiEM.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What part Eric ?

Looks to me like the shift is out of the way before the swing occurs.

XHSjeFP.gif

Crafty edit...but it doesn't hide that the shift is still happening in this clip. The heel of the front foot being down is not the end of the shift against the front side.

In the previous clips of this swing, the barrel is already moving before the heel is down.

I understand that you're trying to share your idea of swing mechanics, but you're missing on Bustos' swing as an example of what you're trying to sell.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Are you not seeing that the barrel is already starting to turn as her front heel comes down? The launch is being initiated as the shift is happening - shift and swing.
Absolutely. He has no clue and I’ll leave it at that. Blinded by his little belief system.

The saying goes “it’s hard to fill a cup that already full”.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This swing is a good example of the barrel being accelerated early (blur!) and the launch being initiated in a path perpendicular to the rear forearm. The pause and slo-mo on this edit makes these components really clear. Nice work, TDS.

1Vmog5L.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The body shifts in 3 planes. The barrel is arcing to be short to. What are you guys smoking? 😆😆😆

The story goes she baited the Japanese pitcher into throwing it there.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What part Eric ?

What's the difference between abaf and shift and swing ?

knzdEtX.gif

How about these two ? Looks like the shift has been completed around the same time correct ?

8a0mbNa.gif

Looks to me like the shift is out of the way before the swing occurs.

XHSjeFP.gif

I’m not Eric, the swing is the shift has nothing similar to ABAF. Even Walt said in his book, at some point in the swing the lowerbody and upper body are going in different directions. Very different from AbAf.

Bustos has reached her max stretch. Snap.

Do you need to see the graph of swing time? Gives an example. The example isn’t 100% accurate, but does make you think.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No I was asking about how you think they get there?
The "core pattern", or whatever you guys call it these days, and HLP, use different terms and different focuses but ultimately have the same goal. That's why both will post clips of Bonds, Pujols, or others and then say "see, there it is!!"

I see two significant inhibitors that complicate conversation.

1) the two methods utilize different definitions for certain terms. Shift is just one example. When you or Tds make a comment about shifting, you are correct, in your model. When Eric or Shawn make a comment about shift, they are correct in theirs.

2) some people still cannot post with a shred of honesty. Posting a clip of Tewks ABAF swing and implying that it is something that anyone here supports as a model shows just how dishonest some people can be.

As I have stated numerous times there are aspects of HLP that make sense to me. But there are certain aspects that I am not on board with. HLP is a derivative of previous versions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors