Hitting Faster Velo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
While they are working on shorter/quicker swing patterns at practice, come game time the cue should be swing over the ball. Great band aid. Worked for A-Rod, too.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
While we all have different cues, I love, "Dance with the pitcher." It is effective one explained and helps with timing. The faster a pitcher is throwing, the more hitters need to develop a running start. For what I teach, that would be tip and rip as the hitter is loading.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The first thing you do is lift as you sit to hit. Leaning toward sit first. This looks like there’s more sitting. You have to shift into a column to move. Become one legged, you have to choose a side. The old weight shift back to go forward. Coil to go forward.

IMB_aklfhB.gif

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
No, you need to be quick.

Yes better technique, absolutely not faster hands. You need a shorter hand path.

Look up stat cast and the actually batspeed on elite hitters. You will be surprised. I’ve gone through the batspeed training.
I read an article I can longer find where the average AAA batter had higher bat speed than mlb.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I read an article I can longer find where the average AAA batter had higher bat speed than mlb.

It’s not how far you hit it, it’s how often you hit it far. It’s about barreling more balls up. Everyone has experienced what happens when you barrel up the ball.

I agree with you. Griffey was consistently 90mph with his HR swing, consistent with every swing,even swing and miss. Straight lead arm, big stretch. When he was a superstar in Seattle. Mo Vaughn, 74 mph. Mo had a stroke. Griffey a swinger. As for minors or college players they are taught the same. They’re are taught swing down out front, to have a short swing, swing down taking the most direct path. Rotate, hips. That is what it has always been. All I heard was rotation. Their rotation is muscled, while swinging 100 mph. If anyone ever says I’m an ex D1 or Pro, run!!! ???

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Do this, open no strides. You can feel the coil better, in Many areas, the back leg, groin/crotch, the 3D load. You take the slack out, so you can be more sudden.

Do the same open stance, coil 3D. The coil runs upward, use your back. Take all the slack out, upper and give a command go. Gives the command to load up and then Go. Looking for quick sudden swings, no using the arms. I like to not hold them long, keep the stretch.

IMB_aklfhB.gif

This vertical loading sitting, pressure into the earth and the earth pushing back. You can see the back chain working. Upper arms connected to the coil, back is being used. Forearms support the hands, turn the handle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach