Hitting advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2022
Hey all,

Looking for some advice to help my DD on her swing. Hoping for some practical advice that we can utilize.

Seem to have the following issues lately.
1) seems to be late, lots of balls at first base or fouled off.
2) lots of hitting under or on top of the ball. Not squaring up the ball well.
3) seemingly limited power compared to fall ball.

She has been working with a hitting coach for about a year now and things were going in the right direction but we’ve seen since seemingly lost progress. I’m thinking the issue is bat drag. The elbow is dropping too soon I think. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
First thing I would check is making sure when she steps in the box her intention are to hit EVERY pitch hard. Yes, yes, yes approach. It looks like her swing is an after though.

Mar 4, 2022
First thing I would check is making sure when she steps in the box her intention are to hit EVERY pitch hard. Yes, yes, yes approach. It looks like her swing is an after though.
Thank you for this. I haven't heard of the Yes Yes Yes approach but will look into it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Swinging before the foot gets down. It works until it doesn’t. You gotta have perfect timing. I like RHs ‘yes yes yes’ gets a player moving out better/earlier usually. But this might be mechanical..

Mar 4, 2022
She looks rushed to me. She starts her move out 3 "Youtube clicks" (is that 3 frames..not even sure) before the ball is in the frame...Probably needs to be a bit earlier than that.
Thanks patter, I was trying to find a better video to share WITH the pitcher but didn't see one from this past few weeks. However, I grabbed one from Mid-March indoor, hopefully it helps with judging timing. It is a worse angle but should help judging readiness. I've added it to the original posting.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. She is too far away from the plate
2. She starts open, then steps further open. (Notice her front knee rolls over before she touches - dont do this)
3. She starts her swing before toe touch (one foot in the air). Notice her rear forearm is down - vs flat at toe touch
4. Her swing is dead at toe touch. Nothing she does after this will fix this swing.

Do dry strides to fix this. Stride to land on a very bent front leg. Pick up the front knee. Pull the back elbow back like a bow. Land with the rear forearm flat.

dfp--2023-0420.gif

Mar 4, 2022
1. She is too far away from the plate
2. She starts open, then steps further open. (Notice her front knee rolls over before she touches - dont do this)
3. She starts her swing before toe touch (one foot in the air). Notice her rear forearm is down - vs flat at toe touch
4. Her swing is dead at toe touch. Nothing she does after this will fix this swing.

Do dry strides to fix this. Stride to land on a very bent front leg. Pick up the front knee. Pull the back elbow back like a bow. Land with the rear forearm flat.

View attachment 27822
Thanks for the feedback. I am having hard time visualizing the dry strides but will look some up.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for the feedback. I am having hard time visualizing the dry strides but will look some up.
Dry strides are done without a tee or a ball.
1. She is too far away from the plate. Way to far.
3. She starts her swing before toe touch (one foot in the air). This will never work.

So she needs to practice getting into a position at toe touch (with front knee bent) where the hands are still back and her rear forearm parallel to the ground. Stop at this position, then heel down, knee straightens, elbow slots and rotate. The head should not move forward (towards the pitcher) after heel down. She should feel as if she is throwing the bat for distance and direction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee