High-school Glove Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
My 8th grader is thinking about asking for a new glove for Christmas so she can break it in before high school. She has a 12.5” Liberty Advanced that’s on its second year of service. We play fall high-school. And she’s on a 14B team that will probably start playing more A tournaments in spring based on how fall went.

She is almost 5’9” and pitches primarily - has been playing first the rest of the time due to an injury - but will probably head to 3rd more once injured kid is back.

She likes the glove she has.

Thoughts on a new glove for her? Does it make sense to start breaking in a new one now?

Oct 4, 2018
Makes sense to me.

Breaking in will be more you than her, IMHO. Watch the Aso Glove Guru videos and get to work. I'd go with an HOH and do a proper break-in. Then start playing catch with it and transition to it in practice and games as she's confident with the new glove.

Nov 18, 2015
Not trying to discourage anyone from getting a HoH, but there’s always the re-lacing option.

If she pitches, I wouldn’t go smaller than 12.25 - the A2000 MA does a good job at 1B for my pitcher-daughter, but she is also using a new 11.5 @ 3B I picked up the last Wilson glove day sale.

Haven’t tried to break in a HoH yet, so no idea how long it should take. Wilson’s are usable pretty quick, but the A2K will take a lot more effort than the A2000, and the Mizuno Pro Selects falling somewhere between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2023
I’m partial to Nokona since they are made in the USA but they are very proud of them. My DD has a custom Nokona but I told her it would have to last 4-5 years. You can choose leather options that are softer and have a much easier break in period. Kangaroo leather isn’t cheap.

Oct 4, 2018
Not trying to discourage anyone from getting a HoH, but there’s always the re-lacing option.

If she pitches, I wouldn’t go smaller than 12.25 - the A2000 MA does a good job at 1B for my pitcher-daughter, but she is also using a new 11.5 @ 3B I picked up the last Wilson glove day sale.

Haven’t tried to break in a HoH yet, so no idea how long it should take. Wilson’s are usable pretty quick, but the A2K will take a lot more effort than the A2000, and the Mizuno Pro Selects falling somewhere between the two.

Yeah, all good brands. HOH just my preference. Between my DDs we've had A2000, Mizuno Pro Select as well. Both great gloves.

May 28, 2019
I’m partial to Nokona since they are made in the USA but they are very proud of them. My DD has a custom Nokona but I told her it would have to last 4-5 years. You can choose leather options that are softer and have a much easier break in period. Kangaroo leather isn’t cheap.

You don’t find the ball wanting to hop out the kangaroo leather pocket?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles