Glove advice for a 13YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Is the leather quality the only difference between the pro 1000 and other heart of the hides or are all of them horween?
The large majority of all true HOH baseball gloves are Japanese Tanned (Jtan) Steerhide leather. Horween isn't a "leather" per se, Horween is actually the name of the Tannery in Chicago Illinois that has turned out some of the best baseball glove Steerhide leather ever!

When Bob Clevenhagen ran the St Louis custom shop (SLCS) back in the day for Rawlings he put Horween on the map for the customs he built for MLB's biggest stars using that brick hard, take a year to break in special leather!

There's your little educational fun facts on Rawlings leather for the day! ;)

Sep 19, 2018
If she has her heart set on Wilson fast pitch model FP12.
If she is ok with a Wilson baseball glove 1795 or 1912

Oct 4, 2021
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas. At this point I think I am going to wait and make sure she stays at 3rd before investing in a new glove. Her Liberty 12.5 is still in good shape and will have to do unless I find a great deal on a smaller used one.

Nov 3, 2022
Definitely not in the same ball park. The whole thing started when I saw a 12" Nokona Walnut at Dicks Sporting Goods and mentioned to her mom that maybe she needs a smaller glove. Her mom tried it on and fell in love. Of course the 13yo doesn't like brown so we started looking at other brands and styles.
I would not get the Nokona walnut. first of all, it's $400. the A2000s/HoHs are better value at around/sub $300. secondly, it's very broken in out of the box, but will get very floppy very quickly, won't hold up to the heavy softball coming hard. my DD has the A2000 H12 for MIF and 3B and loves it. 12 inch. have to break it in correctly and takes time to do so (don't squeeze it!) but will last.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I would not get the Nokona walnut. first of all, it's $400. the A2000s/HoHs are better value at around/sub $300. secondly, it's very broken in out of the box, but will get very floppy very quickly, won't hold up to the heavy softball coming hard. my DD has the A2000 H12 for MIF and 3B and loves it. 12 inch. have to break it in correctly and takes time to do so (don't squeeze it!) but will last.
JOND is right, the Walnut leather Nokona's are a POS! Yep, I said it!

The inside of them feels like they were finished with a course file, they're heavy, and like JOND said they'll be floppy in a month!

To me the Nokona Legend with Sandstone leather is the only Nokona I'd ever consider!

Oct 4, 2021
Just an update for those that may want to know. Ended up finding a used a2000 H75 11.75 on ebay for$150. Got it today and it is in great shape and already broken in. Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying