HC's Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 6, 2013
I am the AC for a 14U travel team. I need some advice on how to handle a delicate situation regarding the HC's daughter. The daughter is our shortstop and her play is "lacking" to be polite. She is not motivated to get better and when I give her instruction she takes it as criticism. It's painfully obvious to everyone but the HC that his daughter cannot play shortstop. Quite frankly, I don't think she wants to play travel ball. I suggest other positions for her but he only takes my advice after multiple errors and the team is a hole. The situation is delicate because the HC is a friend. Very frustrated and need some advice.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, no. He won't be your friend long, if you get involved in this. He has to know that she is weak. You can either let it go and it will work itself out, or move on. Good luck.

Oct 6, 2013
Two other coaches who both share my opinion. We discuss how best to handle the situation, and have basically just been hoping it works itself out, but it's getting frustrating.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have regular "coaches meetings" where all of the coaches - HC and three AC's get together to discuss strategy. If a player is becoming a liability in the field or at the plate, this is where decisions are made to move players in the field or up/down the batting order. The HC is ultimately responsible for the decision, but a good HC solicits advice from his AC's.

Is there another player on the team who is an obvious UPGRADE at SS? If the "coaches meeting" idea is not success, try dropping subtle hints like...."I think we should try Susie at SS for a couple of innings to see how she does".....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was in the same situation last year; at least it sounds eerily similiar. We simply left at the end of the season. Still, I lost him as a friend but I had to do what I felt was right for my family, and especially my DD. I would advise you to do the same. Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Another good example of why kids should learn and play multiple positions. IMHO, coaches would be better off if they instilled that philosophy through practice. It would facilitate a transition in a situation like this.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Your HC and friend is the walking definition of Daddy ball. If he doesn't see that she is weak, nothing you say will change that. He may be a friend now, but Amy is right, he won't be at the end of your season, whenever that comes. When Daddy ball is that obvious, a team usually falls apart during the season or disappears come tryouts because no one will come play for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing