Odd situation about HC/AC duties

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Responding more to the stuff on page 1:

After roughly 6 years of college softball, I can‘t even begin to describe how dysfunctional some of these coaches are.

I sit in my big comfy chair and read the posts by parents of recruits on various sites and I can’t help thinking how naive they are. I know I was too. I think “I ought to post this story or that story”. Then I realize it wouldn’t make any difference- they won’t believe it or they think somehow it will be different for their kid.

And I’m not talking about mildly questionable statements behavior and decisions by coaches. I’m talking about the incredibly petty. The completely inappropriate. The full on nauseating. See my signature line for further explanation.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
. The visiting team had 6 or 7 ACs in uniform, including stirrups, in the corner of the dugout with a card table, literally 8 feet from where I watching the game. Each AC, IN FULL INIFORM, had a I-pad or clipboard or phone and charted information on every single pitch.
Why is it that baseball coaches wear a uniform? Is there any other sport where the coaches where the same thing the players wear? I am assuming it's a historical thing. Coaches were players too, back in the day.

Picture this: Very comical.
  • Basketball coaches wearing shorts and tanks
  • soccer coaches wearing soccer kits
  • Football coaches--full gear
  • Rugby coach.
  • softball coaches.
  • The only coach that would be close is a golf coach.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Why is it that baseball coaches where a uniform? Is there any other sport where the coaches where the same thing the players wear? I am assuming it's a historical thing. Coaches were players too, back in the day.

• Rugby coach.
  • softball coaches.
You nailed it. Pete Rose was the last player/manager in MLB. He ended his player tenure in 1986.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You nailed it. Pete Rose was the last player/manager in MLB. He ended his player tenure in 1986.
Great trivia question.
Could you imaging Ron Washington running out if the dugout to argue a call decked out in a three piece pin striped suit and Italian leather shoes? Throw in a fedora with a red feather, too. That would be awesome.

Jun 18, 2023
On some level I like the idea of everyone that's allowed on the field having to be somewhat in uniform, though it is pretty silly.
  • Rugby coach.
  • softball coaches.

Most of those don't step onto the playing surface during the game. It'd be funny to watch a hockey coach have to skate out to the goalie to make a change though.

But the manager doing a mound visit is a spectacle, and visible to everyone. Probably doesn't matter at higher/professional levels, but there's probably some value in being able to instantly identify if the random person on the field is allowed to be there or not.

Great trivia question.
Could you imaging Ron Washington running out if the dugout to argue a call decked out in a three piece pin striped suit and Italian leather shoes? Throw in a fedora with a red feather, too. That would be awesome.

But this would be a fun alternative too. I want someone going out there with one of those comical oversized Vaudeville hooks to yank the pitcher.

May 13, 2023
Why is it that baseball coaches where a uniform? Is there any other sport where the coaches where the same thing the players wear? I am assuming it's a historical thing. Coaches were players too, back in the day.

• Rugby coach.
  • softball coaches.
Ummm 😁 reliving their youth vicariously participating with a costume on?!

Hilarious post Socks and great point!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles