Odd situation about HC/AC duties

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Little off topic but interestingly funny?
I stopped by a so cal HS baseball game last night. Two top level programs. I happen to take a view from the corner of the dugout by the on deck circle of the visiting team. I am not making this up or exaggerating. The visiting team had 6 or 7 ACs in uniform, including stirrups, in the corner of the dugout with a card table, literally 8 feet from where I watching the game. Each AC, IN FULL INIFORM, had a I-pad or clipboard or phone and charted information on every single pitch. Two or three of the ACs were at least 75 years old. The HC sat on his bucket near the dugout opening, paying zero attention to ACs, about 10 feet in front of the very busy ACs and employed a walkie-talkie on every pitch. Who he was communicating with the walkiie-talkie is a still a mystery. They lstill ost to the home team 7 to 0.
HS Softball has a lot of catching up to do if they want to match the craziness of HS baseball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I stopped by a so cal HS baseball game last night. Two top level programs. I happen to take a view from the corner of the dugout by the on deck circle of the visiting team. I am not making this up or exaggerating. The visiting team had 6 or 7 ACs in uniform, including stirrups, in the corner of the dugout with a card table, literally 8 feet from where watching the game. Each AC, IN FULL INIFORM, including stirups had a I-pad, clipboard or phone and charted information on every single pitch. Two or three of the ACs were at least 75 years old. The HC sat on his bucket near the dugout opening, paying zero attention to ACs, . HC used a walkie-talkie on every pitch. Who he was communicating with the walkiie-talkie is a still a mystery. Theyi still lost to the home team 7 to 0.
HS Softball has a lot of catching up to do if they want to match the craziness of HS baseball.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I stopped by a so cal HS baseball game last night. Two top level programs. I happen to take a view from the corner of the dugout by the on deck circle of the visiting team. I am not making this up or exaggerating. The visiting team had 6 or 7 ACs in uniform, including stirrups, in the corner of the dugout with a card table, literally 8 feet from where I watching the game. Each AC, IN FULL INIFORM, had a I-pad or clipboard or phone and charted information on every single pitch. Two or three of the ACs were at least 75 years old. The HC sat on his bucket near the dugout opening, paying zero attention to ACs, about 10 feet in front of the very busy ACs and employed a walkie-talkie on every pitch. Who he was communicating with the walkiie-talkie is a still a mystery. They lstill ost to the home team 7 to 0.
Maybe it's like politicians; make a big enough contribution and get special access.

May 29, 2015

Sounds like a local private school here. I did a V/JV true double-header for them last year. It snowed during the games and the games were awful, so NOBODY wanted to be there. What really irked me is that those six guys hang out and do whatever they do every varsity game, and then NONE of those guys stick around to help the solo JV coach (not even the V coach). Then they wonder why the program doesn't develop.

As for the guy on the walkie talkie, NFHS approved electronic communication for baseball this year. It can ONLY be to the catcher.

May 13, 2023
Sounds like a local private school here. I did a V/JV true double-header for them last year. It snowed during the games and the games were awful, so NOBODY wanted to be there. What really irked me is that those six guys hang out and do whatever they do every varsity game, and then NONE of those guys stick around to help the solo JV coach (not even the V coach). Then they wonder why the program doesn't develop.

As for the guy on the walkie talkie, NFHS approved electronic communication for baseball this year.

It can ONLY be to the catcher.
Perhaps a Lively discussion about why that doesn't include or should include the rest of the team is needed... after all DFP deserves an opinion on this don't we LOL

GO DFP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles