Have they changed the rules on rolling bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Have they changed the regulations on rolling bats, one guy was telling me that you can order a bat from a major distributer pre rolled and that at most tournaments there is a company there rolling bats? :confused:

I thought they were getting tougher on rolling and shaving.

Jun 24, 2013
Rolling never bothered me, according to other posters it will not make a difference with the bats over the last couple years.

If you get caught with a shaved bat, you are out for a year or longer. Seems about right to me.

Jun 22, 2008
No they have not changed the rules on rolling bats. Anything done to change the performance of the bat as manufactured is considered altering the bat. Many of the new bats are specifically constructed to show evidence if they have been rolled.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
You may be able to order a new shaved and rolled on Ebay but not from any manufacturer.

I will tell you that a shaved bat is easy to identify for an experienced umpire or coach. The hand meters pick up on them too. Also the sound is different.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
No they have not changed the rules on rolling bats. Anything done to change the performance of the bat as manufactured is considered altering the bat. Many of the new bats are specifically constructed to show evidence if they have been rolled.

I'm not condoning rolling bats, but the argument never made sense to me. If I "cure" a bat correctly over 300 hits, and roll one fresh out of the box, they both should perform the same. There is no advantage to rolling besides the time it takes to break up the fibers.

Shaving is another issue.

Jun 24, 2013
300 hits? Another 5 years and DD’s bat will be broken in, anyone know a good bat roller.

(By the way I agree with you)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am pretty sure that bat rolling is still considered illegal. That said, bat manufacturers changed their processes so the bats are as hot "out of the wrapper" as they will ever be, thus eliminating any performance enhancement from rolling.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Maybe the guru's from the hitting threads can chime in, but don't associations now roll the bats before testing anyway? To prove that even at their peak performance they won't be above the 98mph?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Bat rolling is illegal, but no way to prove if you did it. But be advised, there are many bats on the market that will get instant spiraling around the barrel if you do it.
Back in the day, it took a while to break bats in, rolling just helped the process quicker.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I am pretty sure that bat rolling is still considered illegal. That said, bat manufacturers changed their processes so the bats are as hot "out of the wrapper" as they will ever be, thus eliminating any performance enhancement from rolling.

Not necessarily true

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle