Glove for an 8yr old player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2021
I bought my daughter a 11.75” Rawlings Liberty Advanced when she started playing travel ball 2 years ago. She’s now 10 and absolutely loves the glove.

Aug 2, 2023
Good morning- Just joined as I have a similar question for my just turned 7 yr old. Please lmk if I'm in the wrong thread for this. I'm also looking at a Bradley 11.25" Ignitor series for her (but struggling w the size decision 11.75, 12?). There seems to be different thoughts on size depending on who I talk to. Wouldn't a smaller, properly fit glove help kids focus more on catching/fielding with proper fundamentals than a larger glove they rely on to compensate? Most 8U kids aren't catching flyballs. I would think a 12"+ glove may have them compensate more.

Either way, appreciate the feedback on the Bradley (& justify the $!)

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2022
Good morning- Just joined as I have a similar question for my just turned 7 yr old. Please lmk if I'm in the wrong thread for this. I'm also looking at a Bradley 11.25" Ignitor series for her (but struggling w the size decision 11.75, 12?). There seems to be different thoughts on size depending on who I talk to. Wouldn't a smaller, properly fit glove help kids focus more on catching/fielding with proper fundamentals than a larger glove they rely on to compensate? Most 8U kids aren't catching flyballs. I would think a 12"+ glove may have them compensate more.

Thanks.
My daughter used a 11.25" ignitor last season and it was great. It was a great glove but it's really short and tough to catch pop ups on an 11" ball unless they have great hands. Seems more fit for a baseball.

Moved her to a 11.75" Next Play during all star season and her catching got a lot more consistent. She turns 7 next month.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Thanks.
At her age I may go with an 11.5" glove, but 11.75" at the very max! She's going to be using the smaller ball for still a good while.

Welcome aboard!

Aug 2, 2023
My daughter used a 11.25" ignitor last season and it was great. It was a great glove but it's really short and tough to catch pop ups on an 11" ball unless they have great hands. Seems more fit for a baseball.

Moved her to a 11.75" Next Play during all star season and her catching got a lot more consistent. She turns 7 next month.

Appreciate all the feedback. Was there a significant quality difference b/w Ignitor and Next Play? Leaning towards 11.75 Ignitor. Ignitor has the wrist adjustment that may be helpful for smaller kids.

Jul 1, 2022
Appreciate all the feedback. Was there a significant quality difference b/w Ignitor and Next Play? Leaning towards 11.75 Ignitor. Ignitor has the wrist adjustment that may be helpful for smaller kids.
I would get the ignitor, the hand stall probably fits a 7 year old better.

I got the next play so I could slowly break it in for next year but my daughter insisted on using it now because it has a way bigger pocket bc of the larger hand stall and length. so I had to accelerate the break in. The thumb and pinky loops are probably a bit too far for her hand but she insists it's fine.

The next play that I have is technically better quality because it was the next play FP Elite w/ Kip leather, and I got it only because it was on sale. I think its just splitting hairs. I think both gloves are great and miles better than those kid gloves at Dick's.

Jun 8, 2016
At 7/8 YO the most important thing is the kid has to be able manipulate her hand/arm to learn how to catch a ball properly. 11.5” is plenty enough glove to catch an 11” ball..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles