Field question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Thanks for the links and replies guys. I've been researching and working on this thing for a few months now. Getting everything in and laid out and fixed up...have spent more than I care to have so far...just don't want to buy bricks if I don't have to. Mortar clay mix may be an option as well. It should not be a heavily used field....a couple games a week, and we will have turf over pitching areas and plate areas for the kids that go out during the week and for practices so that should cut down on the wear and tear.

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for the links and replies guys. I've been researching and working on this thing for a few months now. Getting everything in and laid out and fixed up...have spent more than I care to have so far...just don't want to buy bricks if I don't have to. Mortar clay mix may be an option as well. It should not be a heavily used field....a couple games a week, and we will have turf over pitching areas and plate areas for the kids that go out during the week and for practices so that should cut down on the wear and tear.

Where is this field of dreams ? Make sure to post some pics

As stated earlier you are very generous ! Nice work !

Mar 25, 2011
I would say drainage is not the concern here. Thea areas you are speaking about are the highest traffic areas where players are physically tearing into the footing with their spikes. The clays sole purpose is to add a dense layer of filler underneath that area to provide a solid base to build off of. The field soil then goes over the top of the clay, and that is the material that is groomed. I really like the idea of trying to build your own bricks. I think you might find down the road, that it is easier to cut out a brick area and replace it with more bricks (I'd make a bunch extra and store them near the field under a tarp). Now that you've said this, I'm going to explore this idea myself, as I'm the one that tends to maintain my daughters high school field (the dirt areas at least).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom