Question Regarding Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I will say that, as I said before, if I say something to somebody and they totally ignore me that is kind of rude if nothing else...lol. If he didn't hear her for whatever reason she should have repeated herself but I can see how a teenager might not take that step.

Aug 5, 2022
This post makes no sense in many ways. In one post the OP states that this is only the second game her daughter has played at night. Later she states she has played since she was 5 yrs old. She makes it a point that her daughter has only ever played right field, but has played since she was 5 yrs old. I’m so confused. I’m neither heartless or clueless and I’m truly sorry the kid got hurt and hope she heals quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
This post makes no sense in many ways. In one post the OP states that this is only the second game her daughter has played at night. Later she states she has played since she was 5 yrs old. She makes it a point that her daughter has only ever played right field, but has played since she was 5 yrs old. I’m so confused. I’m neither heartless or clueless and I’m truly sorry the kid got hurt and hope she heals quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I played baseball for 15 years and never played an inning of OF in an organized game 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mar 10, 2020
I won’t be responding to anymore comments. My purpose of this post was missed and I feel a little beaten up on. The purpose was always a Coach not listening/ignoring my daughter. I understand there are risks in softball but if a player informs a coach she can’t see and then has her teeth busted out, it tends to not set well with me. This was a very traumatic incident for my daughter and our family. Crazy how everyone judged me but really didn’t read the post.

Question. What would you do as a parent in this situation:
1. My 16 U daughter was playing in a tournament a few weekends ago. Unfortunately my daughter had a ball take a weird hop in left field. Ball bounces up, hits her in the mouth. Knocks out one tooth and chips the other in half. We immediately took her to the hospital and they reinserted the tooth that was knocked out. The dentist filled the chipped two. No guarantee the tooth that was reinserted will live, as well root canals and possible caps in her future on both teeth. Daughter always wears a mask while playing infield but usually plays right in outfield and despite our concerns convinced us she didn't need a mask in outfield.

2. Couple of factors: It was a night time game and she specifically told the coach she couldn't see out in the field due to the lights shining in her eyes; he ignored her. That was the end of the 1st inning. Her Dad and I could see from the sidelines she was struggling with her vision. Continual movement of shading her eyes. The outfield was in horrible condition, balls were taking very erratic bounces. Injury happened in the 2nd inning (4th play) and what I didn't realize is when she took the field for that inning she took her sunglasses.

I would think a player telling a coach she can't see should be a safety concern and immediate action taken. Maybe I am wrong. As a parent I will never again allow a Coach/Organization to put my child in harms way. Again, I could see she was struggling to see but I was trying to not be one of those parents who go to the dugout and question a coach. He had already scolded her for missing a ball which should have been his 1st clue. Just wanted to get different perspectives from a safe place to vent.
@Cincysoftballmom14 see your tactics not commenting anymore but changing your username, post and now including backhanded comments. Just about everybody commented well wishes for your daughter. Now you just seem like a typical travel ball parent venting. Everybody here has their own daughters who play softball injuries too. You are not an exception. Crazy is how you're making this about yourself thinking you are judged when people commented the original post about softball.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
Hesitated to chime in on this one, as I truly feel badly for OP’s DD, and wish her a complete and quick recovery. More so, I truly hope that she has the courage to come back and continue to play ball! I do, however, agree with most of the responses, but will not beat that dead horse.

The one issue I do have with the coach is letting a player wear sunglasses at night. That to me seems a likely contributor to the incident, if not the direct cause. Sunglasses may have seemed an ok choice when looking up into the lights, but the second you look away from the 1000+ lumens (e.g., down toward the ground to pick a hop or GB off the ground), your eyes will simply not adjust fast enough, or likely not even all the way at all, to pick up a hard hit ball. The effect was likely seeing a wall of black followed by the impact.

There is a LOT that is not know here, but I would imagine the conversation I would have had as the coach would have been something like, “move back some, and then left or right until you can get a better view without as much glare, and use your glove to shield the light that still bothers you.” Same convo for sun when it’s unavoidable.

I understand the anger from the OP; her DD was hurt and she’s as protective as any of us are about our kids. However, this is not a situation that needs blame assigned. Everyone seems like they could have done at least a little better in this scenario.

Again, hope the DD heals in all senses of the word!

May 16, 2016
16U outfielder wearing a mask? I have never seen it. BUT only 10 years ago pitchers were called soft for wearing masks.
True, this is a rare thing, outside of rec ball... But, I have seen a number of 16U outfielders whom I thought SHOULD be wearing a mask, for their own protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood